Sound qaulity

Hobberz

Hey guys.

Still very much a noob and have been trying to record a mix over the last few days and everything just sounds terrible.

I know this has been covered a few times but I have read through hearts sticky on recording a mix and other threads, checked out videos on how to set up Audacity correctly and still cant get something that sounds half decent.

Some details: I am using Audacity, RCA's from mixer to microphone jack on laptop and have also tried a USB soundcard. I have played around with audacity settings and also my laptops sound and microphone settings but to no avail.

Its getting quiet frustrating as all I want is to be able to record a mix, post it up, get some feedback from members and try and learn from that to get better at mixing. All help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers Gary

hey man im quite a noob too in all things sound but while you wait for some of the pros to get at ya.

what usb sound card you using? i remember reading this is def preferred over using mic jack.

Also does your mixer have a record or booth out. use this as opposed to master out. that way it records irrespective of what the master volume is set out.

oh yeah And when you say your recording is crap maybe clarify. i.e you getting clipping, pops and clicking, distortion, volume too low, eqs all messed etc etc

1. Start by checking your levels on the mixer. Make sure the signal averages +0 dB and peaks at no more than +5 dB.

2. Check your RCA cables. Swap them with spares to see if it makes a difference.

3. Definitely use an external USB sound card. At the very least you should get a cheap one like this http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx .

You can buy one here http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface-Cran-Music-/270652767792?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item3f04297e30#ht_601wt_905 for $60 posted.

4. Check Audacity recording preferences. The sample rate should be good at 44100 Hz and the sample format at 16-bit. Select the USB soundcard as the recording device and make sure it's recording in stereo.

then im not sure mate, i have the same gear and just go straight from master out on the DJM to my microphone in slot on my laptop....the 1st thing i would be trying is a new lead

im just running a standard RCA Cable (red n white audio, to single Aux Jack lead)

RCACable.jpg

you the same?

Hey guys.

Still very much a noob and have been trying to record a mix over the last few days and everything just sounds terrible.

I know this has been covered a few times but I have read through hearts sticky on recording a mix and other threads, checked out videos on how to set up Audacity correctly and still cant get something that sounds half decent.

Some details: I am using Audacity, RCA's from mixer to microphone jack on laptop and have also tried a USB soundcard. I have played around with audacity settings and also my laptops sound and microphone settings but to no avail.

Its getting quiet frustrating as all I want is to be able to record a mix, post it up, get some feedback from members and try and learn from that to get better at mixing. All help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers Gary

Audacity has issues with recording high quality bass.

I personally tried using the line in- to Audacity at one point, only to find the bass didn't get through.

If you record using Virtual Dj Software as 'line in' it records it in full quality.

Also use 'Line in' not 'Mic in' I was under the impression that that signal has a bad range.