Denon DN-MC6000 Review

awesome88

Denon DN-MC6000

DN-MC6000_EM_top_00.jpg

I got my DN-MC6000 on friday, and had a couple of days to play around with it, so i thought i would write up a quick review. I previously had the NI Kontrol S4, so i will be doing a lot of comparisons between the two, because i know a lot of people are choosing between the two.

Out of the box - This thing is bloody heavy. That was the first thing i thought when it got delivered. The unit is made of steel and feels really solid. Even the knobs feel solid, and to a lesser extent the faders. These sometimes feel like they are moving a tiny bit, but i think it might only be because you can change them if you want. TBH it's not even really an issue and the only thing you can say about the build quality if you really want to be picky.

MC6000 vs S4 - I have to give this one to the denon. The build quality is much better, it is a lot more sturdy and doesn't feel like you are going to crack it like the plastic S4. I took it to a mates house one the weekend and didn't even bother putting it back in the box, i just chucked it ina back pack.

Just to include what you get - power cord, usb cord, rack mounts, Traktor LE cd, manual and quick reference guide.

Set up - Having only limited experience with controllers, the S4 being basically plug and play, i'll admit i did have some issues getting everything working. Installing the drivers is really easy, however, you really need to read the instructions because you have to turn the unit on in different modes to change different options (firmware, jog wheel sensitivty etc.). I had to play around with it for a while to get the hang out it, but once you do it's fine. The only problem I found was after i updated the firmware, the left job wheel lost sensitivty. After multiple attempts of recalibrating, i realised that the instructions that came with the box seemed to be missing a step to save the settings....but once i found the online manual, it was perfect.

Set up with Traktor LE worked perfectly straight off the bat, however, i wanted to get it working with Traktor S4 for all the extra options. Not having any mapping experience, it did take a bit to figure things out, but in the end, i downloaded the Traktor Pro mapping file and installed that into Traktor S4, and this seems to be working file. I haven't got all the extra sample/loops working yet, but TBH i haven't really tried because i don't use them much. I'm just going to leave it like this until Traktor 2 comes out, then fully map it then.

DN-MC6000 vs S4 - This one i'll give to the S4, purely for the complete plug and play aspect. Although the mc6000 works straight away with LE, there is some mapping/downloading etc. for Pro. For a real beginner, the S4 is easier to get going sooner, but in the end, it isn't hard.

Using and sound - I have to say i was impressed how well the mc6000 works with Traktor once you get it going. The sound quality is perfect, the buttons feel solid, and the actual unit feels like it could take a beating without batting an eyelid. I won't go into great detail about the specifics of what the mc6000 can do vs the S4, but i couldn't find anything the S4 could do, that the denon couldn't. It may take a few extra minutes for mapping, but for the versatility of using whatever program you want, with full midi mapping, plus the benefit of having a stand alone mixer if you want, i think the denon is a lot better than the S4.

Of course i had a lot of problems with sound on the S4, however, haven't had any issues at all with the denon, even with traktor minimized and doing things in the background. Haven't had any audio drop outs at all.

I have seen some people mention that it looks cramed with the buttons, but i have found it pretty easy to follow and fairly intuitive. The only thing is remembering what the "shift"+(button) does, but the manual is good at explaining and it's fairly logical.

MC6000 vs S4 - MC6000 all the way. I am a lot happier with how the unit plays. I like the touch sentitive jog wheels instead of press plates that are on the S4. The unit works really well with traktor, and i see that it can do everything the S4 can and more. Real easy choice choosing the denon in this category.

Overall - I am really happy i have the Denon now. If the S4 didn't have the audio problems i had, i would have been very happy with it.... overall it is a good unit. However, I am even more happy now i have the denon. The name has certainly kept up it's reputation for build and sound quality. It's very easy to use and set up, and i can't get over how tough it is. I see the denon as the S4+ so many more options/benefits for only $100 more. At the end of the day go and try them both, but i'm sure you will love the feel of the Denon a lot more.

I tried to cover everything, but anyone has specific questions, i'll try and answer them :)

yea, it's basically the same on pc, but unlike the S4 you have to import the TSI for anything above traktor LE... which seems obvious, but not when you haven't had any controller experience.

but like i said, it's easy to figure out, and there is a lot of help/support/guides on the denon boards.

anything denon is wicked but how can you not like the s4 jogwheels?

to be honest, the S4 jog wheels might as well be a big button.... if it's the top/scratching you are talking about.

i think they might be a bit bigger than the denon, but in terms of pressing what is essentially a big button, i just like the feel of the touch jog wheels better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i started off with some reloop rmp-1's and a behringer djx-750.

i think it was good to start with cd decks and move to midi, but you don't need pioneer, especially if you are planning to move to a midi controller.

a lot of people have this "pioneer or nothing" view. However, when you are starting off especially, you don't need to fork out that cash for something you are planning to change/ugrade/might not like in the end.

If you are seriously looking at a midi in the future, but want to start on cd decks, go for something like a denon, reloop or cheaper pioneer cdj's like the 200's or something. this way you can get a good idea of what you want/if you like it etc first.

remember, just because it isn't pioneer, doesn't mean it's shit. Denon has quality gear, reloop is coming out with some quality affordable gear. You don't need to buy into the pioneer elitism. I understand that pioneer is "industry standard", but moving from a reloop/denon deck and mixer setup to a pioneer set up won't be difficult at all.