tips on beat matching?

styga

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mate i cant believe that makes sense, i was off my box when i wrote that. prob did it on autopilot.

...as i say i've taught hundreds of folk how to do it but they're always there next to me so I can see exactly what they're doing and how it's sounding.

I guess the most important thing is: as soon as it sounds confusing stop the one you are trying t bring in, cue it and restart it on the one. That way you know at least the 1st beat was in line and so you can judge the next few beats in confidence not confusion.

anyway good luck man.

^ that's right. dj is generally so busy djing that he/she wont hear the mix as precisely as when they listen back while doing nothing else.

Plus live mixin follows the vibe of the crowd so random cheers and stuff happening can add atmosphere that means a shit mix works coz everyone was busy checking something else in the place... but when you listen back to it you think it's rubbish even tho everyone loved it at the time.

just had a bit of a mix then, and its pretty dodgy cause i was trying out the loops and loop divides so some parts theres just a random part starts playing that shouldnt cause i had the cross fader in the middle haha. but once i work out how to put it onto soundcloud ill chuck it up here

you need to drop shit on the first beat of the new phrase, not just anywhere in the track.

Also you dont need to mashup the songs, just focus on mixing the intro's and outros of the track, aka: first 1 min and last 1 min of track.... that's pretty much basic mixing which is what you should concentrate on first.

yeah thats what you need to focus on as a beginner.

Thats why dance tracks usually have a 1min intro and outro. Some 30 seconds.

I mean there's THOUSANDS of variations to mixing which you will learn eventually as you get better, but that is the most basic form.

ahh right, ill give that a shot later, so basically all mixing is is like the transitions between the ends and starts of a song?

not all mixing, thats just the basic and most common mixing

you also having mashing as facked mentioned, which is more mashing the vocals or 1 song with the beat and shit of another,there are other variations as well

Beat juggling, backspinning into the next song...cant be fucked writing more :P google that shit :)

you need to drop shit on the first beat of the new phrase, not just anywhere in the track.

Also you dont need to mashup the songs, just focus on mixing the intro's and outros of the track, aka: first 1 min and last 1 min of track.... that's pretty much basic mixing which is what you should concentrate on first.

Fackedd is spot on, once you get this down pat you can then try and be more adventurous. Good luck