tips on beat matching?

styga

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha why not gandy?

its looked down upon as amaturish/noobish.. The very first dj competition i went into, every respected dj i asked for advice on how to approach it they all said "get out there enjoy yaself, dont abuse the fx and whatever you do dont do a backspin" lol

it you just backspin the outgoing track and suddenly slam on the incoming track it sounds shit, but if youve been mixing your two tracks together for 32 bars or whatever and backspin the outgoing track at the last second right before the inncoming track goes into a drop or a release/build section it can sound awesome. backspins sound best I reckon when its just a beat thats playing, so during the last 16 bars of the song in the outro typically. backspins while its mainly synths sounds fucking terrible.

haha, you're getting the grit now goof!

i use backspin with echo when mixing dub, not dubstep, real dubwise reggae from the 80's.

whatever suits the music really.

i'll get a chance to listen to your mix later mate but i guess what fackedd said is the most important thing.

Getting your head round basic beatmatching by synchronising the beginning intro beats of a song with the outro beats of another is the 1st step. Learn this or nothing else will ever work how you expect it.

it's the walking you gotta learn b4 you can run.

ok mate, heard your mix, you may not believe this but you arent too far off.

i think the best bit of advice for you is: dont run before you can walk.

what i mean is:

dont try using loops yet. the loops are not set tight and require practising on their own.. even if you did have beatmatching down the tracks wouldnt sync with loops that didnt flow.

try and match beats then fade from one to another while only beats are playing for now. When you get better you can start blending at parts of songs where there is more going on but for now just stick to using the parts of the songs with just beats for mixing and let the rest of the song play as a guide to get your next song ready matched. Trying tomix two vocals together sounds like an argument unless you really know what you are doing.

avoid mixing in the break to "destination calabria" it has a very odd tempo change whle the sax gets lazy. beatmatching only works where both songs stay at the same tempo.

Otherwise keep on trying, keep on listening and please please just concentrate on matching beats smoothly for now. Everything else follows on from that.

hope that helps man.

if u have a BPM counter, put some blutack over em so cant see

i did that, best decision i have ever made ;) now i can beatmatch within bout 20 secs :)

also...trust your ears

yeah thats what i did as soon as i got my cdjs, makes it so hard for me but ill get the hang of it eventually

i cant fucking get the hang of in :wall:

hang-in-there-kitten.jpg

When i was first learning I remember getting to that point, was very close to putting my foot through my set-up...then i remebered how much i spent on it :P

keep at it man, u'll get it. It'll come really suddenly aswell

This is the way i learned to beatmatch

.Track A playing

.Cue track B and move the pitch slider right down so the track is obviously playin WAY too slowly (this is so you know which direction you have to move the track)

.Press play on track B (obviously on beat with track A)

.Use the headphone on one ear method (Track B playing in headphones, Track A playing thorugh speakers)

.Speed up track B with the tempo slider and simultaniously nudge the track forward witht eh jogwheel

.When the tracks get close, put on both headphones and adjust it so that both tracks r playing in headphones

.Do your fine tuning

I was as specific as possible. hopefully that helps :)

as soon as you get confused or annoyed stop.

try scratching

or just listen to a fav tune

let it rest mate, no one got anywhere flogging a dead horse.

it will come but not by trying too hard, that's just gonna piss you off.

p.s. only just figured out what your avatar is, that's dope man.

• 2 weeks later...

just had my first try in like a couple weeks cause i didnt have enough powerboards in my room to run it due to rearranging.

ive tried to do more transitions and try beat match while doing that

i think i finally pulled off a beat match between satistaction and destination unknown, ill upload once ive had a listen myself haha

• 3 months later...