feedback

imadje

OI!

i got no votes for this entry in the comp a while back... so I could obv use some feedback...

eg) what worked, what didnt, did the mixes suit the style of music... pick out individual things if they pissed you off or turned you on etc etc but...

PLS dont bother telling me the intro is crap. I was experimenting with some 4 deck ideas and it ended up as a total fail. Start listening from about 2.41 (first timed comment)

http://soundcloud.com/jim-bluefoot/www-ausdjforums-com-foolish

appreciated.

hey man haven't gone back to re listen but i'll say what i can remember:

think the main issue the mix had was you tried to have too much going on in some spots. This caused it to not have as much as a flow as some of the other mixes. beatmatching wasn't as clean as some of the others.

This is just what i remember, as i said haven't gone back to re listen, but hope that gives you an idea?

yer man nice one, I know the beatmatching was terrible in a fair few places.

You're right too I was going for 4 decks most of the time.

Had just got my NS6 so was on a new piece of kit and using new tunes in a genre i'm not up to date with but wanted to support the comp so really just threw myself at it. Could've polished it a bit but didnt have time...

That's good feedback hearing that it was too much coz I was kinda liking it... I guess that because I didnt know the songs I didnt really respect them as individual works and just tried to mash something out of all of them live. Good to know it didnt work for you mate. In future I can try and remember to let the tunes do the work for me unless I'm sure they are going to work together as a mash up.

Anyone got any more specific comments?

Just went and skimmed through this,, definately wasn't bad or anything. Just could do with a tidyup in some of the transitions. Beatmatching in some spots, phrase matching i picked up a bit out in one or two.

When i listen back, some of the 3 deck mashup mixing actually worked well, and others not so much. But that more comes down to knowing your tracks well than anything, and you stated you didn't know them that well. The three deck stuff can work, but you gotta know the buildups, drops etc. in the songs well. Which it worked for some, others it sounded a bit too full on.

But also what cupe said, people hear a slip up early and they bias against you the rest of the mix, which isn't really 'fair', but that's just how most people work.

aye, all fair.

As i've always said: on a recording people pick up on little errors and turn their noses up. There is no atmosphere when they're listening to it.

When Live you can make a major trainwreck sound great/as if it was done on purpose by following it with a bomb :)

And i'll always be a dancefloor DJ.

realistic feedback is good though. I am really interested what others make of it coz I'm never too old to learn more, especially in a genre I'm not familiar with... and everyone's POV is worthy coz anyone can be in your crowd when you're live :)

Very true, mixtape is very different to live mixing. You can mix like shit and the crowd will still dig if you play the right stuff. You can mix good and not read the crowd and they wont like it. Its all about feeling the energy. Which i can tell is what your about. It's just as / if not more important than the mixing