Yet another "Which Speaker" Thread

Florro

Hi all, sorry to start another which speaker thread but after searching for ages through the recent threads I couldnt find anyone that spoke about some of the speakers I am considering.

We currently run a pair of Audioline 15" Active speakers and a pair of Dj Tech Professional 15" Active subs. The bulk of our gigs are weddings, engagements and birthdays of all ages, 60th's, 50th's, 18ths & 21st's. The speakers are now getting a bit long in the tooth and need to be retired to smaller functions and alike. as such we are looking for some new speakers.

At the end of the day main aim is volume but still retaining some form of quality sound. I would ideally like active speakers purely because of how easy they are to set up and pack up, but I know I am most likely going to need a passive system.

Behringer B2520-Pro $999 pair

V-Mas VJS725 $1299 pair

JBL JRX125 $1158 pair

I do have a tendancy to lean towards the JBL as I have sold JBL home hifi in the past and love it. There are rumours though that the V-Mas are a chinese knock off of the higher model JBL's and their specifications do tend to reflect this. If anyone has listen to or purchased any of these speakers I would be keen to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for your thoughts Jaz. I did wonder if the top of the line Behringers would be better than the bottom of the range JBL's. By hte sounds of it most people suggest that they arent.

I have also spoken to JD's Sound & Lighting which import and sell the V-Mas as well as sell the JBL. They say that it is more comparable to the JBL MRX range which are $3200 + for the pair. Only difference being the highs are clearer on the MRX. At nearly 3 times the price they would want to be.

I think storedj would be the only one that has both Behringer and JBL. JD's Sound & Lighting have both JBL and V-Mas. I am 2 hrs+ from each store so I need them to be open on weekends.

You havent said anything about the V-mas. You dont like them or havent had anything to do with them?

I have been reading through different threads all day as well as contacting a few various finance companies I have dealt with in the past and it turns out both storedj and djwarehouse use a company called certergy for repayment plans. I am yet to call storedj and find out their T&C's but it opens up a whole new possiblilty that I could get the size I want and the powered speakers I would prefer.

Hrmmm JBL PRX625........

Storedj offer a $6,000 repayment limit with 24mths to pay it back as opposed to DJ Warehouses $2,500 with only 12mths. Both require a 25% deposit however storedj will charge you the cost incurred by them for the repayment plan.

From my experience in retail and finance arrangements I think the ACCC would have a little bit to say about this but personally I understand the narrow margins involved in this sort of equipment and the costs associated with repayment plans. So I am happy to pay the extra couple of hundred that it works out to be.

As discussed on another thread the cost of this including the repayments companies charge is IMO still a better option than hiring your gear every weekend that your doing a gig. The gear is brand new vs god knows how old, you have a point of difference over the competition and you own it in the end

• 2 weeks later...

Am I going a little over the top? I am heading down to store dj in Melbourne on Saturday to most likely purchase (among other things) a pair of JRX625's and a JRX618S-XLF sub. A little under $5,000 for a 2.1 speaker system.

Can someone please tell me if there is something remotely similar to these at a fraction of the price?

I suppose the average crowd for us is around the 100 mark. Some weddings though it can be 200 and we would like to get away from weddings and more into pubs, school socials etc. Just so as there is some more variety and have a bit more free range with the music

• 2 months later...

Don't go anywhere near the JBL JRX series or PRX series. the JRX sound like shit and the PRX, especially 625 and 635 have major heat sink issues.

Save yourself having to replace the speakers in the next few years and go down to Factory sound, $2000 for a pair Of RCF 312A's. Then wait a while and get a sub.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...