Max Volume

mattus123

Hey guys i jsut rented a pair fo speakers and dont wanna blow em

so i was jsut wondering with speakers, are you able to put everything on max without blowing the speakers, like are they designed to be able to withstand maximum volume?

i personally never put my home speakers on full cause i dont wanna break them. is it the same with DJ speakers?

at the moment i have the speakers on about 3/4, my mixer output at 3/4 and i never have my up-faders much higher than 0 (maybe ill push it up to +3, +6 tops)

i ran a search, but didnt find anything i was after

cheers guys

the speakers have limiter/clipping lights on the back of them. If the limiter light is on (or flashing at all) you need to turn the speakers down, as this means the speakers are trying to operate beyond their potential and are clipping the sound.

So you want to have them turned down enough so they wont be hitting the limiter. Adjust all your levels before you start the gig (during sound check) so you have your volume on the back of the speakers set and dont touch them. And if you want to adjust the master gain (e.g. have music softer earlier then turn it up later) keep a mental note where the master gain can be turned up to without hitting limiter when you do sound check. If you really want to make sure about it, have a peek at the back of the speakers every so often to make sure the limiter light isn't coming on.

Hope this helps.

gotta say mitch is helping out people alot lately, good stuff dude :thumright:

but yeh exactly what he said mattus, my audiolines have a green light on the front, the brighter it flashes the more the frequency is peaking

to be safe, just set the voulme anywhere between half way and 3/4 of the way up...if they are good speakers that are designed properly that will be loud enough without putting pressure on them

• 1 year later...

i agree with mattus, my speakers have a red and green light on the front, the brighter the red light flashes the more the frequency is peaking

for safety, just set the volume between half way and 3/4 of the way up...but if they are of good quality they must be designed properly to withstand the extra pressure.

Ive been told by dj warehouse to have jbl's to always put them on full as really powered speakers are an amp.

When i used to do sound in clubs amps are always on max and you use a compressor limiter. Not sure now well decent speakers like jbl's handle this.

If its only a house party and you have plenty of volume 3/4 would be fine.