Noob looking to upgrade

bblaster

Hey guys,

Like I said in my intro thread, I'm looking to upgrade from my CDJ200s. I want something that I won't need to step up from (unless I somehow start making thousands of dollars as a DJ) or replace (God forbid). My 200s are old and dysfunctional but aside from their technical drawbacks--which I've dealt with since I've owned them--they've been totally reliable. It's made me trust Pioneer to a point where I'm pretty set on moving up in the CDJ line, but if there's anything just as reliable yet more affordable I'd love to know. My student budget requires them to be used.

Based on my own noobish browsing I'm leaning toward the 850s in particular. The lesser CDJs don't seem like a enough of a step up, and the price of the higher-end ones puts them way out of reach. I like the Rekordbox and the big jog wheel and the aesthetic; and although MIDI doesn't matter to me right now, I don't know anything about the future. I know the 850s are newer models which means that used ones are probably harder to find--this is something to consider since I'm itching for upgrade!

Is there a way in hell I could find two, good condition 850s for like $1000? Or is there anything of a similar calibre in that range? I think the Canadian and Australian dollar are pretty much on par.

I need a new mixer, too, but that purchase will have to wait unless I can find a sick package deal. If I could get the CDJs for $1000 it would happen a lot sooner.

Thanks in advance!

I have 850s and they are awesome man, don't regret the purchase at all.

I purchased brand new though, as not many were coming up second hand, due to them still being fairly new, and not many people selling/upgrading from them.

You will probably struggle to get two for 1000, i think jaz scored his for around 1250 used though. However there may be more used units in canada, not sure. Best bet would be to keep your eyes open, and look on all the online sites and watch them when something comes up.

If they continually sell above your budget, you will either have to keep saving, or go for some 800s or 350s.

IMO, 850s are the way to try go though, you won't need to upgrade, and when buying used, you know they aren't too old, as they haven't been out that long. Whereas buying 800s used, they could be 5+ years old and thrashed, and you can't always tell until you see them first hand.

Let us know how you go with it bud

also have 850's, mitch fud pretty much covered it all so ill just say i recommend them

ive got 2 850's and a 2000, and sure id love 3 2000's or something ridiculous like that but the 850's are great, they have about 80% of the features the 2000 has for half the price

as for finding 2 used for $1000, that would be stretching it mate, if u are patient enough maybe but upping your budget $100 or 2 will be much easier to find some...+ for $1000 for a pair they could be in rough condition

Thanks for the advice all. Today I found out in the news that college/university students in Ontario are going to be getting a big tuition rebate, which means I'll be able to up the budget! especially if I take on some austerity measures and quit smoking, too :P

How much would I be looking at for a mixer? Would you recommend getting that used as well?

depending on how much you were looking to spend, you could get a more basic mixer which will save on your budget, and allow more for the CDJs.

The DJM 350 is fairly basic, as is the A&H Xone 22, and still good quality.

Don't know any others to recommend as i don't have experience with anything other than Pioneer mixers, but i'm sure others can recommend some mixers for you.

As long as it is in good condition, all the inputs/faders/eq's work and are smooth, there are no missing fader knobs, no visible damage, and that sort of thing, there shouldn't be too much of a problem buying used. Plenty of users on here have bought used gear.

Keep your eye out, you may find some gear, possibly even a whole package, that hasn't been used for very long before the person parts with their whole setup. Or you may need to buty individually, depends what is up for grabs at the time. I'd say not too long after christmas some used gear will come up though