scratching hand

Gandy

on the rare occassions when i do scratch i use both depending on where the track playing is sitting.

but i do prefer having my dominant hand on the vinyl. but thats because i do mainly basic scratches where the record manipulation is the main component. but for fader intensive scratches i could see how you would want the dominant hand on the fader (i think imadje mentioned he prefers it that way because his other hand cant move the fader quick enuff)

depends what scratch i ever try to do, usually rock the right hand for babies and anything else i try use the left to use my right hand on the fader, but thats the way i really see it, babies with dominant hand to get speed and dominant hand on the fader. its all upto what you feel comfortable with.

I think scratching is almost like foot stance in skateboarding or surfing..

Regardless of your strong hand you'll sort of just jump straight into it

(Think metaphor of cunts teaching surfing and they lay down on their stomach and then jump up with a foot forward really fast, and that instantly works out whether you're goofy footed or natural)

I think walking up to the decks and prep'ing to scratch you will naturally set yourself up how you need to be

I'm right handed yet my left is fucking lightening quick on the fader and I have my right placed on the vinyl

I can't remember the last time I tried the other way, but sometimes I do hit the fader using my right to get an epic granulizer effect, but wouldn't be able to do it if I was setup on the complete other side

When you say scratch do you mean the hand controlling the vinyl, or the hand controlling the crossfader (which is what you mainly use to achaly 'scratch')

hand on vinyl, so if you're right handed do you use your right hand on the vinyl and left hand on the fader or vice versa

See I have my non dominant hand

The hand I 'scratch' with (which I don't even scratch with, it just keeps the sample in the right spot under the needle) basically just does a slow backwards and forward movement

Left hand goes mental on da fadur