VDJ Help

AlexJ

OK i know there would be a topic out there that answers this question but i cant find it so if u know where it is then can u please link it up. anyway onto the question

basically decided i wanted to use my laptop as the audio source for djing, currently have a djm 400 and hp dv6 laptop (please dont flame about the laptop, just know that it has 2 headphone inputs and 1 mic imput, as well as the usual usb's) now what do i need to do so that i can simply use the mixer to operate the mixer controls on traktor. is it just that i need an external soundcard (ie uca202) (i do have some thing from xitel, but no idea what it is, i think its for exporting music)

i have the rca to 3.5mm jack cord and thought all u had to do was put it into 1 line input in mixer and put into a headphone jack. obiously not.

have one realy long rca to rca cable as well. anyway thats about it.

long story short. want to use mixer to operate traktor.

or if u just want to answer instead of linking something, thats cool too

thanks

You can't contol traktor with your mixer ....(because your mixer has no midi )....you can control the audio that's coming out off your laptop from your mixer ...you need a sound card that has 4 RCA outputs ( 2 for the left channel & 2 for the right channel of your mixer ) the sound card has got to have good ASIO drivers for P.C or good core-audio drivers for Mac

Do you just have a mixer & a laptop.........or do you have a set off cd players & a mixer & a laptop....if you have cdj 400 or cdj 350s you can use the cdj as a sound card in cdj or mixvibes..

any ideas on the audio 2?i only have the mixer, the cdj's were sold due to me needing the money to replace the engine on my car :( i know my life is terrible, but its just that i had a couple of gigs scheduled and i figured it would be cheaper to simply control it all through traktor then to buy new cdj's (which ide have to borrow money for and u know all the shit that can come with that so i just wanted to stay in the green)

its just audio 10 is like 500 bucks. and i dont have that sorta money to spend on a soundcard. i heard that that behringer 1 the uca202 did it, just wanted some sort of confirmation from the good people here

The Uca 202 only has 2 RCA inputs & 2 RCA outputs.....only work for one channel of your mixer , not 2 channels of your mixer....

why look for audio 4? just so i dont have to buy 2 audio 2's?

although im wondering, looking at the audio 2 (clearly depicts 2 channels) whether if i had to rca to 3.5mm cords, put two 6.5mm jack converters on the end of each 3.5mm and plugged one cable to line 1 on mixer and into channel a on audio 2 then repeated with line 2 and channel B respecively whether that would also work. any thoughts?

ok well mine is not traktor scratch. so basically. to play using traktor and mixer i need to have 1 4 imput soundcard. preferrably NI if i ever get scratch.

You can try....Download ASIO4all drivers and just use the two headphones outputs on your laptop(one for left channel & one for right channel )

ASIO4all drivers will see & use more than one sound card at a time...but latency with more than one sound card can be fucked

so just grab 1 audio 2 then plug headphones into mixer spot as usual?

and if i ended upgetting the cdj 400's again. how would i go about intergrating all as one big controller for traktor? (the main reason ide still use traktor is i simply like having the large music base to choose from right then and there, and having the option to download a new track if its requested and all the other stuff that comes with using a computer)

ok well mine is not traktor scratch. so basically. to play using traktor and mixer i need to have 1 4 imput soundcard. preferrably NI if i ever get scratch.

You can try....Download ASIO4all drivers and just use the two headphones outputs on your laptop(one for left channel & one for right channel )

ASIO4all drivers will see & use more than one sound card at a time...but latency with more than one sound card can be fucked

Ok I have just tried this with my HP dv6 i5 2021 xl laptop using the two headphones outputs and my mixvibes dvs software ....asio4all driver only see one set off audio outputs at a time with the dv6, so it don't work

You will need a sound card with 4outputs my friend

ok thanks for that man, i think its just going to be easier to pick up like an audio 6 or something. if i was to get the audio 6, then i could use it to convert the cdj400's and djm400 (when i eventually get the cdj's) into like a midi controller for traktor, or would i need more channels?

Audio

Ok…you need an external sound card with a USB input and 4 Line level outputs. The outputs are usually RCA or you may need something called a ‘breakout cable’ (ie large jack plug on one end of the cable that splits into a left and right RCAs). The Audio 2 has two stereo output sockets so you will need two breakout cables. One is usually used to output the already mixed audio signal from Traktor and the other is used for your headphones to cue tracks. What you want to do is slightly different.

You would install the card and then set up traktor to output the audio signal from one deck to one breakout cord and the audio signal from the other deck to the other breakout cord.

The RCAs on one breakout cord would be plugged into the RCAs on channel one on the mixer. The RCAs on the other cord would be plugged into the RCA inputs of channel 2. Your headphones would be plugged into the mixer as per normal.

Control

If like me you eventually get some CDJs (I have two CDJ 400s) with midi capability, you can then set up Traktor in HID (Human Interface Device) mode. This allows you to control all the functions of Traktor with the CDJ’s without having to use a keyboard and mouse. I’m sure the same can be done with a midi compatible mixer tho I haven’t tried it. Audio and control in Traktor are different settings in HID mode so your audio settings (with Audio 2) would still be the same as described above.

And…

CDJ 400s do have an inbuilt sound card that can be used with Asio4all instead of an Audio 2…however I have never gotten it to work properly (big latency problems). I’m currently using a really old Hercules console (5.1 sound card) as my external sound card.

wow thanks. seriously think all this info should be summised and put in a topic at the top of the beginners forum as im sure (seeing as many people new to djing will visit it first, and alot of them will be poor and going for a digital setup) that it would be a very useful reference point