Making Audio 2 work

AlexJ

ok so i want to just operate an external mixer (djm 400) on traktor pro 2. bought the audio 2 soundcard. plugged it in (into line/phono on channel 1 and 2 respectively on mixer) and into my computer usb port. installed the cd. went to preferances and audio setup and the audio 2 dj option wasnt there as i was told it would be. so i downloaded the driver software online and reinstalled it. audio 2 dj option is now there. so i select it and it says in brackets 'not connected' or 'please connect and select an audio device'. so whats going on. please help!

well the soundcard now appears to be working (i can plug headphones into either imput and i get sound) however when i plug line A into line 1 onto mixer and line B into line 2 on mixer i get nothing from the mixer. does not register in traktor, does not output sound to speakers. any ideas?

If you get traktor to see the NI audio 2 and you get sound out the audio 2 ...it must be a mixer setup problem

....ok ..if you have one set of RCA (R & W) cables from the back off the audio 2 sound card into the mixer phono/line inputs, (left channel off the mixer )..&...one set of RCA to stereo jack from the headphones outputs on the front of the audio 2 to the RCA phono /line inputs( right channel off the mixer )..

Now on your dim 400 , right up the top you have two switchs ,set both to phono/line ( not line- in ) and on the back off the djm 400 ,next to the phono/line RCA in puts there are two little black switchs with phono/line-in.....set both switches to line-in not phono (you only set to phono if you are going to use turntables with real vinyl )

yes i have done that already. was the first thing i checked.. :(

ok heres a question for you. when i go into audio set up i click 'audio 2 dj (ASIO)' and it doesnt come up with any 'not connected' things. but when i exit audio setup and the open it again the audio device has switched to 'traktor audio 2 (ASIO)' any ideas why it would be doing this? and if so, could it be causing the problem?

If your getting a signal from both outputs of the audio2 by testing with headphones then the mixer should be receiving a signal if your wiring is correct. Make sure the gain (trim) control on each channel of the mixer is turned up and the same for the master output of Traktor (top centre of screen). Can you put up a quick pic of the rear of the mixer complete with cabling and then a pic of the top of the mixer so we can see the knobs faders etc.

Once you have turned the mixer channel gains (trim) up. Push all the faders up and put the cross fader in the centre position. Now turn up the master output level on the actual mixer. If your getting a signal from Traktor, you should see the LEDs on the mixer VU meter bouncing up and down.

Below are some pics of how I would wire it uding CD inputs on the back of the mixer (you can also use the line/phone inputs as described above)

7614593_orig.jpg

I found a pic of what your trying to do so now we know it is possible:

2605103_orig.jpg

Your wiring should look something like this:

1025023_orig.jpg

Note: Disregard the arrows next to the phono/line switches. Anything plugged into the CD inputs will need to be a line level signal (ie the output from the Audio2 will already be line level)

ok heres the update. Big + i can get some audio through the mixer when i put imput 1 into cd. i can control eq and effects for that channel. Problem is. a) no channel 2 and B) the levels still doesnt register. now when i turn everything max up for channel 1, the levels just start then. now i know something is wrong because its f*^&in loud and to only just register on the level meter is rediculous. Now im trying to troubleshoot whether the fact that channel 2 doesnt work is a mixer or traktor problem but ill keep you posted.

*update*

so ive worked out whats going on with the channels. so now all that remains are two things

1) why dont the levels come up?

2) i thought mixer control was meant to register in traktor (or does this only happen with midi controllers? if so this is ok im just curious.

Cd players put out a line level signal so the cd and line inputs are exactly the same thing. FYI, an mp3 player at about 85% volume puts out a line level signal thru the headphone jack. An audio 2 will put out a line level signal from its two outputs, that's why you could hear music when your headphones were plugged into it.

ok so now the issue is i had to move somethings, unglug it to take my laptop away then when i came back plug in the audio 2 and try to press play on the track and it doesnt do anything. whats the go

If you unplug the audio 2 sound card or play a mp3 , play a video in windows or off the net your laptop windows OS will switch from the audio 2 to the laptop sound card.....to fix this....set the audio 2 sound card to be the main output sound card for all software on your laptop in windows audio preferences....this will make the audio 2 the main sound card for all software under windows

Ps.....happy mixing my friend