Writing Basslines/Melodies

mattus123

Hey guys

ive been trying to get into production the last few weeks and ive noticed when writing basslines they either sound very bland, or over complicated, and as a result sound like shit. I have the same problem with writing melodies

just wondering if there are any good rules of thumbs or tips that might help with creating a good bassline

cheers

I don't have massive so can't help with that. When I stick a bassline in ableton I almost always use the corpus effect on it. Usually the sub club one. Makes some difference.

Try various settings on some of those til you find one that works. Use a bit of side chain against your kick.

Yeah russ i had this problem too.

pretty much NEARLY every sound you make will need some kind of effect on it so just play around until you find something you like.

Also watch tutorials on youtube for getting a certain sound then make it your own by tweaking it

so start with the main note of the track / what key its in. sooooo lets just say your track is in C. i sometimes just throw notes in only at C to get a rhythm then maybe change the notes around within some form of scale.

so start with the main note of the track / what key its in. sooooo lets just say your track is in C. i sometimes just throw notes in only at C to get a rhythm then maybe change the notes around within some form of scale.

ah sweet, thats actually what ive been doing, just more practise i guess

Quick question.... Those trying to produce, do you have any knowledge in music theory at all?

yea i do have music theory knowledge, my whole music knowledge is based around the guitar though, so its just a bit awkward doing it on piano now

ah sweet, thats actually what ive been doing, just more practise i guess

Quick question.... Those trying to produce, do you have any knowledge in music theory at all?

yea i do have music theory knowledge, my whole music knowledge is based around the guitar though, so its just a bit awkward doing it on piano now

One of the reasons I guess it is recommended to learn piano as a first instrument. It really does show the fundamentals of music structure, more so than playing a guitar. You could still use the guitar to map out a basic chord progression that you want to use. Also could be handy to write down the actual notes used in the chord too (ie put the notes on a staff ie basic guitar C chord is CEGCE). The majority of the notes you will use (but not all) will come from the chord that is playing at the time (bass would almost exclusively stick to the notes in the chord.... unless you are awesome like Flea). This can then be used for your synths/pads later down the track.

http://www.stringtheorychords.com/ <-- This also could be useful

yea i really wish i learnt some piano

i got a friend who teaches it, im thinking of getting some lessons from her

yea thats what ive been doing lately, writing a melody using guitar then transposing it across to piano

ableton needs a guitar plugin, so instead of a piano roll, u get a guitar-roll

yea i really wish i learnt some piano

i got a friend who teaches it, im thinking of getting some lessons from her

yea thats what ive been doing lately, writing a melody using guitar then transposing it across to piano

ableton needs a guitar plugin, so instead of a piano roll, u get a guitar-roll

As long as you know the notes in the key you are using, and the appropriate chords for the key you should be right. Or do like most people and write it in either C major or A minor so you only need to use the white keys.