Key Mixing with Rekordbox

DionDJ

Just bought a hub so I can connect my decks though le laptop & Rekordbox... I know RB has a key analyze feature & thought, wouldn't it be great if you could sort the music by key so you can make a smooth mix easily with your library. I don't think that possible though, I mean I have analyzed my tracks and sometimes it doesn't even show the key at all, I'm thinking that feature may be a little glitchy.

Has anyone stuffed around with the key feature on RB?

I was also wondering if you can get the get the track that's playing on the CDJ to show on the player at the top of the screen on RB with more detailed waveforms etc. :salut:

I don't use Rekordbox much other than auditioning songs and making a playlist of potential songs for future mixes (S4 & Traktor). I never even realised the key analyses feature, but I did just update it from 1.5 to 2 so maybe it wasn't there before?

Interestingly the results sometimes differ to the analyse done by Mixed in Key? I know it isn't an exact science and many notes are common across keys. One has is F Minor ( F, G, A♭, B♭, C, D♭, and E♭) according to MiK and Rekordbox says E♭ major ( E♭, F, G, A♭, B♭, C, and D). So only one note a semi-tone difference between the keys.

I didn't know you could analyse the key inside rekordbox.

I've always used mik.

But you can sort by key in rekordbox. You need to make sure rekordbox is writing the key to the key field. Then adjust the columns so you can see it easily and not over to the far right.

Also enable key category on the USB stick if you end up using those so you can browse by key on your USB

Sweet, thanks guys. Worked out how to add the key fields.

Still think I might get MIK though as the Camelot method is nice and easy. Will MIK update the key field in RB to the Camelot numbers?

i have used MIK for years now, its proven itself in every set i have recorded, it works so well! best buy and i would recommend it to ANYONE

I mean just playing any audio through MiK. Not only analysing digital files.

Didnt know you could run audio through it? Like with an input?

you can't. That's my point. They should introduce this. they don't plan to though.

Ah gotcha, i believe the new cdjs will be able to do it, or maybe thats only after analysis with rekordbox not sure.