decent non powered speakers

Gandy

anyone know of some decent non powered speakers with a 3.5mm jack? basically im being a tight ass and going on a road trip soon, so i want to stream music from my ipad through the speakers plugged into it, as my head unit does not have a aux port

its only gotta be loud/good enough for the driver/passenger as i drive a xr8 ute

cheers

What gremmis said

or you can get an adapter from ford for the ba/bf models so you can plug aux in i'm pretty sure.

I'm suggesting these because they are probably the same price and will sound better. I've only ever heard one pair of speakers that didn't require external power and they were so small and tinny they weren't worth listening too.

After a bit of homework, you can either get the adapter cable 2 ways:

-dirt cheap off ebay - however this doesn't have the pre-amp and apparently can get a bit of noise and sound quiet

-get the proper kit from ford - includes a pre-amp. Apparently it's around 80 bucks.

In both cases you can install it yourself. the cable plugs in where the fuse box is and runs over the steering column then the pre amp box (if you get the proper kit) sits where the plastic panel near your left knee is. Apparently there is a dedicated spot for it The cable then runs into the tissue box area.

I'd say that is the better way to go and you also don't have speakers flying around in the car if you brake / accelerate hard and/or crash so it's safer :thumright:

In terms of quality it will go speakers powered from ipad -> fm transmitter -> cheap adapter -> genuine ford adapter

Just you? Headphones.

FM transmitters work well enough, but if you are picky about your audio (using stock speakers, so that's a no) it does introduce some noise. Belkin ones are pretty good. If it is for an iPhone get an iPhone specific one cause generic ones pick up a lot of alternator whine through iPhones. iPods are fine with generic ones.

hmm, ive used fm transmitters before and have not been happy with the quality

mitch - i was thinking of getting the kit but im not confident with installing shit

drc1 - yes its just for me, might just plug my hd-25s in didnt even think of that

cheers lads

It is fairly straight forward - however you can also get ford to do it.. will probably end up around 150 bucks though.

Headphones seem unsafe while driving to me as you need to be able to hear noises outside the car.. but that's just me. Not sure what the laws on it are either