a bit of a guide for you guys (effects, cue and hot cues)

lloydc

i haven't really come across a video like this before... watch the top left hand corner, where he tells you what he's doing with which unit.

A lot of you guys will already know whats happening, but for others who don't, you'll get an idea of whats involved and and idea of how you can implement these kinds of techniques in your mixes.

the mix is pretty good too

Nice vid Lloyd. +1

Can anyone see why, right at the beginning, he uses hot cue then taps cue to stop... instead of just pressing and holding cue for the duration he wants? Looks to me like he's using the showiest methods for visual appeal but someone tell me if his hotcue/cue technique results in a different sound to just press and holding cue?

hitting the cue butting is unnecessary in the way he is using the hot cues..

the track is paused when he is hitting the hot cues, so they only play for the length that he holds the button in, then returns back to the cue point when you let go of the hot cue.

to get a hot cue to play on by hitting it when the track was originally paused, you need to hold it in then hit the play button.

In summary - hitting the cue button does nothing in this instance

Its a cleaner way of doing dropping short samples/vocals etc.

By using the hot cue then the normal cue to stop the music, you firstly dont have to hold down the cue button and if you pressed the hot cue again it would restart from that cue obviously.

So from my understanding its to cleanly stop a little sample.

I do this a fair but when i load my cue points up on rekordbox

From what Mitch said hot cue behaviour has changed on the cdj 2000.

On my cdj1000 mk 2 or 3 if I hit a hot cue from pause or play it plays from the hot cue and continues to play wether I hold or release the hot cue button.

So to play short samples I would use the cue button, releasing when I want the sample to stop. To get a tight cut of the sound I use the hot cue in conjunction with the cross fader.

Having thought about it the main benefit i can see to using hot cue is having 3 samples available and still having your main Cue set to mix with when you want to. Not that the cat in this vid uses different samples. On a bad day I would say he was showboating unnecessarily, on a good day I would say he's learnt to do it that way and he feels comfortable with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Gremm1s has it. its just a quick way to sample vocals. he was also using 2 different samples, one which was assigned to hot cue 'c' and the other which was assigned to hot cue 'b'. pressing the hot cue started the sample, and pressing the cue button ended it by bringing the track to the original cue point (which happened to be the start of the track)