Advice on serato

mattus123

Hey guys I've decided to buy serato instead of spending all my dosh of 2000s

Just wondering if there is anything I need to consider? It's only going to be for home use and the occasional party. I was hoping to get a second hand job for like 300 or so

Would it mater what version of serato sl I go with?

I'm using 1000s mk3 and a dim 850

Cheers ladies

ah thats good to know wrxfiend, i was tossing up between sl1 and sl2

its purely for home use, and ive now decided that if i do parties ill just burn CDs as needed (it doesnt happen that often anyway)

have you ever had lag issues or anything like that? and will i still be able to use all of the functions on my 1000s properly (hot cues, loops, etc)?

Edit: before i make a complete fool of myself and buy something thats not complete, i just wanted to double check what i actually need to get serato working. Its basically, the serato box, the cables and timecode CDs yea? the software is free to download?

DAT LATENCY

One thing though, if you want your hot cues to work with the timecode you will need to do one of the following.

A. Get an x1 and use hotcues in the software (can get em for $100, there pretty handy for track loading ect too!

B. Run the timecode in absolute mode. This means if the track plays 30 seconds into the timecode, it will play 30 seconds into the song ect. This will mean you will have to set the timecode all the way back to the start of the track whenever you load a new song though.

also, run serato so it just looks like an itunes library, rather than with waveforms like traktor. It's really hard to stop yourself from serato facing otherwise.

Ah good tips sol, thanks

I just gave it a quick search and apparently I can save hot cues to the keyboard and use them that way. It's only for home use anyway so I can live without them if need be

Found one on gumtree for 250 so I might just get it me thinks, cheers fellas

tbh i didnt know shit about DVS (ive always been on CDJs and never had any interest in DVSs previously), and serato was the only one i knew

already lined up a purchase with seerato. so no one tell me how much better another product is than serato!!!! :P

Tbh for your use of serato it will be more suiting than traktor i reckon.

why?

it sounds like he wanted something that would allow him to have access to digital music without having to burn cd's or have cdj's with usb functionality. and at same time allow him the ability to use turntables in the future.

so how could serato be more suited than traktor?

i would say neither is more suited than the other

why?

it sounds like he wanted something that would allow him to have access to digital music without having to burn cd's or have cdj's with usb functionality. and at same time allow him the ability to use turntables in the future.

Because Serato for that usage is more suitable?

If you are after more virtual decks, lots of effects and capabilities with pads like Maschine etc i would go for Traktor.

why?

Because Serato for that usage is more suitable?

If you are after more virtual decks, lots of effects and capabilities with pads like Maschine etc i would go for Traktor.

no its not... i have used both for a few years now. and if all you need is a music crate they are both exactly the same.

if you would like lots of effects and all that jazz, then yes traktor is more suited.

but if you dont, then both would work perfectly fine.

anyways, my opinion from what you have asked get whichever one you can get the cheapest

I just think as a crate and for simple mixing serato does it better.....

Each to their own

cool cool.

but i guess thats where we disagree. using it as a crate (which i do), you simply just load song to deck then mix as you normally would.

so i still fail to understand how serato does this any better.

in fact because of the ctrl + arrow function to load tracks in traktor you can almost say traktor is even easier to load tracks to deck.