Is it worth me learning to mix vinyl

SolDios

So one of the promoters/club owners that I've been playing for has pretty much said that I can come in anytime during the day to practice. Rocked up today to do some and they also have 1200's hooked up.

I already have an audio 6 and control vinyl, is it worth me learning to go back to the roots and mix vinyl? I'm thinking for it as the skills will help me with my regular mixing too.

Opinions?

not much point if your only gonna be using control vinyl. If you plan to buy records then yeah.

I wouldn't agree with that statement. learning with turntables is learning with turntables.

there are still elements that are very different to using cd players, cueing and release.

I definitely found it easier to go from control to normal vinyl; then I did going from turntables to cdj's.

in fact the techniques needed on the turntables using control versus normal was exactly the same except for how you load a track.

in regards to OP. don't do it for the bullshit of being an elitist whale to say yeh im king dingaling cuz I can use vinyl. it doesn't make you any cooler for knowing it. but if you want the versatility, or the extra skill, or just the experience. then hell why not

It's a good skill to have for sure, but like russell said if your using control vinyl then it's really not the same, i would say go for it and learn anyway but you will notice a big difference between the real thing and the A6

big difference in sound, yeh probably

but stil don't understand what you mean by big difference.

you load track to deck. you pick needle up and put it to start of the record (or wherever on the record you want to cue from), then you hold down vinyl and release

pretty sure it was the same with normal records? except for having to swap records. and if you want that experience just pick the option to change track when you flip sides

It's a good skill to have for sure, but like russell said if your using control vinyl then it's really not the same, i would say go for it and learn anyway but you will notice a big difference between the real thing and the A6

you load track to deck. you pick needle up and put it to start of the record (or wherever on the record you want to cue from), then you hold down vinyl and release

pretty sure it was the same with normal records? except for having to swap records. and if you want that experience just pick the option to change track when you flip sides

Yeah I guess I was referring to the groove points like what Russell was saying, I find I look at the screen too much rather than go off knowing the track

Yeah I guess I was referring to the groove points like what Russell was saying, I find I look at the screen too much rather than go off knowing the track

yeah thats the point. Take away a laptop and any visual waveforms and it's a totally different ballgame. Yes, the cue and release will be the same but the whole mixing experience is different relying solely on your ears and knowledge of your tracks as you don't have a nice timer showing you when the track is ending and what not.

I prefer not having a laptop as like Oxy says you end up looking at the screen too much.

groove points?

start of the record is the start of the record, middle is the middle, of course end isnt the end as you get about ten minutes.

if laptop is the issue just do like diplo and keep the laptop to the side. and basically use it to load tracks same way as you would be head down in your crate looking for records. then after that, no need for it.

as i said you could even line up your tracks (just like having them sticking up on their side in your crate); and then flip the record which loads the next track on your list.

don't get me wrong i enjoy playing rekkids too. but he is talking about learning. i learnt on tsp. then after three months went to my mates house all vinyl. and there was more transitioning between 1200's and stantons then there was between control vinyl and normal vinyl. in terms of how you dj.

well IMO anyways

I love my serato and dicers and all the perks of digital vinyl, but i'm gladi learnt the hard way with real wax, when im scratching or juggling i dont look at the screen, it just confuses the issue.

If he wants to further his talent and knowledge of all things dj i'm all for it!

I need some tuition in the ways of the cdj's ive never touched them untill i played my tunes at beat lounge, first time on stage in a club, first time using new equipment = stress lol.

You never know sol, you might love the tt's and never go back!