adding a looper to a vinyl setup

eggssell

yo as per several threads in the last few months. i have been thinking about adding a looper to my mixes when i am mixing with vinyl.

not anything special, literally just like pressing the loop button on your cdj or dvs

i just know that in some of the tracks i play on vinyl (jamaican 45s or old school 80's shit) dont have long enuff instrumental parts or are so varying in bpms that i thought a looper might help.

reality is i will buy something and never use it. but that (and buying shoes) is in my nature

anyways anyone have ideas? preferably cheap so when i see it gathering dust i dont feel so bad

anyways i relooked at the ztrip thing i was dribbling about. and then remembered i knew exactly what he had the pioneer efx500. but seemed to expensive just for looping. not too mention he doesnt use it as i was thinking

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/archi ... /page.html

as seen in this vid

this was an extract from the how to rock a party disc 2 of the scratch documentary. pretty basic but he says a lot of good stuff. and that mix at the end is awesome. z-trip rules

http://tvpot.daum.net/v/15174758

i've seen loads of whales using novation dicers when they're playing dvs vinyl. Fit perfectly onto 1200s too. They're about 150ish each

I think wrxfiend has some too

Yep, and I rely on them too much now Lol!

I had suggested this in his other thread, but for orig wax he will need some sort of digital box to do this.

Also eggs, if you still have that akai mpd? thingy, you could map that to control tracktor loops and such?

if not, and if you still have it nek year, bring it with ya and i'll giv ya a wristy or something for it LOL

yeh i still have it and that was originally what i bought it for. that and to control a third internal deck to drop samples via the mic channel.

i thought of sample banks before traktor 2 :teef:

i set it up once. played around with it. it did exactly what i wanted . then realised i dont use that in my mixing. haha

When i discovered the 8 bar auto loop function on my dicers i was like....oh no this track is gonna end, wait a minute (push 1 button) instant breathing room to find the next track.

That is why i have mad respect for any one staying purely wax these days. It takes so much talent!

You can use the roll on the pio mixers if you're clever.

Otherwise I'm thinking an external fx unit would be what you're after. Which raises the question as to whether your current mixer supports an external fx unit nicely??

What's the exact model of your mixer?

Korg KoasPad. You can pick them up pretty cheap second hand and would be perfect so long as your mixer has send/return. The only catch is you cant be mixing to catch separate tracks as it'll use the master audio.. Essentially you'll need two of whatever you buy I imagine, one for each deck. Would go TT > KP > Mixer Channel A, TT > KP > Mixer Channel B

Edit: just read your send/return is toggle capable to each channel. You'll only need one :)

• 6 months later...

anyways so after much delibiration i was going to go with the redsound soundbite pro. i mean if its good enough for carl cox its good enough for me.

nek minit i realised the company folded late last year. juno is all dry, and given the number of wtb posts on various forums the chances of getting one for a reasonbale price is buckleys.

there is the mini one which i can still get from germany but not sold on it.

soooo.... im back on the look out.

all i want is to be able to sample a loop live and have it then play, i.e.similar to the loop buttons on a cdj or a dvs.

i will have the device plugged into a send/ return

Yeah the Kp3 would definitely do that, I used to use it for the same thing but then did way to much with it, as a simple looper it'll have 4 banks and you can then layer things on top.. Could be good for opening up your creativeness.

Have you seen the RC-505? I know Dub FX uses a looper set up and I'm pretty sure he operates outside of normal bpm constraints, i.e it doesn't detect/use bpm to create bars you manually loop in/out.

I just did a google and found him doing an introduction to a new piece of kit, I don't think it's what he uses though..

DubFX playing live

hehe yeh i posted that video pretty much after i created this thread, but in a seperate thread.

and cool yeh i spent last night watching vids on the kp3 and it can def do what i need. cooly dooly.

but yeh since i only need one feature, not looking to spend more than two hunge... so if anyone finds any deals holler!