How do you get your music going?

Narukami

Sup all.

I had this awesome sounding tune in my head a while back and I've been working on it these past few days. The results were... not rly good. Did as much as I could. Went from changing how the song sounds like altogether to trying to go back with what I originally had in my brain but ehh... I guess you could call it writers block.

Anyways, I'm just wondering how you guys solve this issue. Do you keep trying your darndest to make it work or do you stop working on it for a bit and get some other stuff done. Interested to hearing what ya'll have to say.

Cheers :)

With me, the main idea I usually have never really turns into the end result lol if I sit down and try and think of something it doesn't really happen. When I hit a wall with a track I'm working on I just walk away from it for a while. It gets your mind off it and when you get back to it you may have fresh ideas for it from something as simple as making a sandwich. Some days it just doesn't happen and that's the way it is. My way of thinking is to not force it out, let it just happen :)

yeah nothing i write ever turns out the way i wanted it, ideas in my head sometimes come close to what i wanted but are never accurate, a lot of the time when i get writers block ill try and work on something new (which has lead to having about 20 open projects at once). Just need to keep at it, try going for new ideas, but yeah never force it, you'll just get really frustrated with yourself.

Yeah, I've always actually done this, I just never thought that it was a "proper" way to write music (because you always read in interviews and stuff that like people would write like 500 versions of a track or something before making the final version haha). Instead of sitting in front of a laptop and forcing myself to make a song, I forget about making music entirely and do something else that interest me like read a book or play games. Ideas will usually come naturally from there and it usually comes out about 90% of how it sounded in my brain.

But this is just pissing me off because I know what I want to make but at the same time I don't. Really frustrating haha. I guess I'll just have to chill out and don't stress myself. It'll drop by someday.

Cheers for the reply guys :)

Walking away and returning later with a fresh pair of ears is the way to do it for sure.

On the flip side of this though, has anyone ever sat down and just got into an awesome groove and made really good progress with a track in one sitting. But then you have to leave (for school/work/etc) only to return to it to find that you have completely lost your momentum and are unable to finish it? I feel this happens to me way too often

Nah, I never really had that problem. I always make music one structure at a time, whether I want to or not. I'd spend like 2 hours trying to make my intro sound perfect and at that point I'd be too lazy to keep moving on, even though I know what I want to do for the breakdown or the next section of the track. It's kinda annoying losing my vibe like that when I wanna keep working on my tune :'(

Ah well, we all have different quirks when it comes to making music, haha :P

Walking away and returning later with a fresh pair of ears is the way to do it for sure.

On the flip side of this though, has anyone ever sat down and just got into an awesome groove and made really good progress with a track in one sitting. But then you have to leave (for school/work/etc) only to return to it to find that you have completely lost your momentum and are unable to finish it? I feel this happens to me way too often

Def have this problem, some nights i'll have nothing flowing, cant find a decent sample to chop up and end up just banging away on the pads to no avail. But when im on a roll, drums are working etc, its always 2am and the reality of work in the morning stops me!

Well, it should....