Filter Button - DJM 900

Trennaa

Hey guys..

So.. On the weekend, I had my first 'big' gig, played to a packed out club at the 'prime slot' (12-1).

I'll paint the scenario. Using 2 CDJ 2000's, DJ before me played his last track on the left deck (through CH2 on the mixer), I bring in my first track in the right deck (ch3), mix it in, having fun, everything is great.

Eject the other DJ's CD, insert my CD, select track, start cueing it up etc.. At the right time, begin mixing it in, thinking something is different, something not right, but maybe its just me.. I am playing commercial bounce, so the intention was to bring the bass in at the "30 second drop", and quickly drop the fader from CH3.

At this time, I notice there is NO BASS whatsoever, recheck levels/gains/freq's.. Everything looks fine.. At this time Im thinking WTF, somethings gone technically wrong.. Subs blown maybe?

Guy running the night, runs to booth.. the Filter button was selected and flashing.. causing the bass to cut out?

This is the second time this has happeend to me, previously the DJ before me was using traktor on a mac, so i assumed this was something to do with it..

I don't have a DJM mixer at all, so im not fluent with the filter effects or anything, nor do I use them in my sets..

Can anyone shed some light as to WHY it cuts the bass.. im almost certain I didnt knock the filter button, as I wouldn't have a reason to be near that part of the mixer..

Thanks!

So this is how the colour effects work:

On the left hand side of the mixer in line with the silver knobs are 6 blue buttons with an individual effect written on them. when you push each button it will begin to flash indicating that it is active.

From here you can use the grey knobs on each channel to manipulate the effect on it. (Pretty sure left is wet, right is dry).

From what it sounds, the filter was active and the silver knob on said channel was to the right (High pass filter).

Just make sure those buttons aren't flashing and the silver knobs are facing up towards the top of the mixer.

Thanks man..

Well.. All in all, I was supposed to do a VS closing set with the guy..

The guy was told the owner of the venue wanted to talk to him at midnight.. so he msgd me while I was out and about in the club somewhere, told me I was on solo from midnight.. soooo.. I did the best I could I guess..

Got told a couple of the tracks I played were a little too heavy 'bounce' but hey.. I was jumping around and had my arms flailing like a douche, the crowd seemed to enjoy it.

Cheers!

Pre-Check before playing every track, all knobs in channel line are pointing up except the trim (channel volume), channel fader is down (or crossfader to playing channel) Then begin mixing.

:thumleft: very good advice! i guess add checking no effects are in play too.

This.

I used to get too excitd and try and do epic mixes to quick and I'd fuck it up cause of silly things like this.

Take 5, check your shit and then mix.

Pre-Check before playing every track, all knobs in channel line are pointing up except the trim (channel volume), channel fader is down (or crossfader to playing channel) Then begin mixing.

:thumleft: very good advice! i guess add checking no effects are in play too.

This.

I used to get too excitd and try and do epic mixes to quick and I'd fuck it up cause of silly things like this.

Take 5, check your shit and then mix.

So true. I've been lost in it so many times you need to have this kind of mental checklist.. Once at a Stereosonic DJ comp I hit the eject button on the wrong cdj.. Thank fuck the eject lock was on.

• 4 weeks later...

Played a somewhat opening set last night at a venue, and got into this rhythm.

Made myself a checklist - Filterbutton off, CDJ not on vinyl mode, all the regular stuff..

However, I got to have a play with the filter effects, and see what they actually do, had some fun with it.

My next step is actually practising a bit more with the 'echo backspin' you hear on a lot of Melbourne Bounce sets.

Very helpful, cheers!