Greetings and Copyright question.

Jaydolfski

Greetings dudes and dudettes,

Been browsing online for an Aus based electronic music forum and decided to join up with this one, Hope that's ok with y'all.

If you can point out a better place for me to introduce myself, please do :)

Jumping straight into the deep end with a question...   I've got this weird/nooby track I've been putting together over the past few months, and I've used 2x 2second audio clips from an older movie(1995). They repeat several times with various effects over the first quarter of the song. Do you think I'll run into issues down the track if I get a copyright on the song and get it out there?

Happy to put a link up to the song if you need to hear it.

Hey dude!

Sampling context from movies (or most things for that fact) can be a bit tricky. I guess technically you're not supposed to but in a weird way it's common practise to sample. As far as the law goes, If you're looking to officially release something you'll need to get the sample cleared for use before you can release it. Record lables will take no responsibility if you've used uncleared samples. 

Now... I know people who have tracks released without clearing samples and so far they're so good. I don't really know what this grey area is but I guess from a legal standpoint you can't use licensed work - which is why soundcloud removes remixes / bootlegs etc

On top of everything, you should be alright to put the track up on Soundcloud if that's what you're planning to do. If you submit to a label and they're interested just see what they say about it first. I've used dialog from movies and it's been fine for me. I've even sampled from acapellas.  There's a few sample packs out there that have sampled dialog from movies as part of their packs so I can't imagine there's too many people doing much about it lol 

Cheers for the replies guys,

The track has been on soundcloud for a bit now, I was looking to take it a few steps further and put a copyright on it, get my own label going, get it on iTunes etc. I dont think it will ever get #1 but yeah, who knows... Can be risky from what I've read

Heres the track if you're interested -

Can you even guess what the clip is from? its the only "vocals" I put in there.

Kinda 50/50 on whether I should just do it or not.

On ‎1‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 5:14 PM, Jaydolfski said:

Greetings dudes and dudettes,

Been browsing online for an Aus based electronic music forum and decided to join up with this one, Hope that's ok with y'all.

If you can point out a better place for me to introduce myself, please do :)

Jumping straight into the deep end with a question...   I've got this weird/nooby track I've been putting together over the past few months, and I've used 2x 2second audio clips from an older movie(1995). They repeat several times with various effects over the first quarter of the song. Do you think I'll run into issues down the track if I get a copyright on the song and get it out there?

Happy to put a link up to the song if you need to hear it.

The way I've always looked at it is, if you start making money off it chances are whoever did the original work will want a piece...