New Router suggestions.

Pending

2 hours ago, Mitch said:

First Q: What are you currently using?

Just the piece of shit my ISP gave me

2 hours ago, NitroMonkey said:

Yeah man, ADSL 2+ or NBN?

Either or you really can't go past the Netgear Nighthawk series.

NBN 100 down 40 up

Do you want a new router, or just better wireless?

As it's an nbn service, you have to use the provided device as a modem at least, and put it in bridge mode to connect the router. If you just get a new wireless AP you can just plug that in and off you go.

I use a billion router/wireless at home. Performance isn't the newest/greatest/best, but it's wireless n which gets faster than 100mbps, which is better than the speed of your connection anyway. Stability is rock rolid. 

Ubiquiti make great networking products, which is what I use a lot at work. They only sell wireless APs and routers as separate devices, which is why I mentioned all the above. 

26 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Do you want a new router, or just better wireless?

As it's an nbn service, you have to use the provided device as a modem at least, and put it in bridge mode to connect the router. If you just get a new wireless AP you can just plug that in and off you go.

I use a billion router/wireless at home. Performance isn't the newest/greatest/best, but it's wireless n which gets faster than 100mbps, which is better than the speed of your connection anyway. Stability is rock rolid. 

Ubiquiti make great networking products, which is what I use a lot at work. They only sell wireless APs and routers as separate devices, which is why I mentioned all the above. 

I'm mainly looking for better consistency, less drop outs, less speed dips.

well can try to aim for a AC wireless router if you plan on doing any large file sharing or streaming from devices (such as steam link, 4k video etc...) those will set you back $300 - 400 but if its just for watching videos, downloading shit and fapping... something cheaper would do. netgear usually have decent router. dlink if you enjoy nailing your foreskin to the wall.

Anything with wireless over 100mbps will be fine. If everything you're doing is via the Internet, you're not really utilising the extra bandwidth. 

Not a personal fan of netgear. If you want an easy to configure router + wireless, billion. I had a quick look and you can buy entry level Cisco within your price range, but you need to know what you're doing to configure. Their entry level stuff might be point and click, but the enterprise stuff I deal with is all terminal/command based. 

If you just want better wireless for existing router, you'll get great performance out of the box with ubiquiti for the price. Yet to find better bang for buck. Even the entry level model will be overkill for you.

P.s. If you have stuff running on wireless that you could easily plug in with cable, do that. 

P.p.s. Make sure your wireless is set to pick a channel automatically. This ensures that it picks a channel that's not overly congested. If you live in a small place you'll likely have a few other networks around you, and you don't want to be sharing a channel with anytime else