Help Cupe build a studio mixing/production desk

Cupe

So I'm sick of this current bullshit setup and want to build the greatest single desk there is.

It needs to be able to fit 3x24" screens in a row PLUS 2 krks on the left and right sides, height adjusted to ear/eye level.

I also need space for a midi keyboard, which should sit in the middle but I also need room for the computer keyboard in the same spot.

I also need both decks and mixer involved. I have no idea if this can all work together as a console but also just to use the pc in general whenever.

the controllers can slot in anywhere.

the shelf the screens are on now is a shit DIY job and needs to go

Any example pics/sketches/ideas would be good.

I think the keyboard could sit on a slant under the middle screen, the screens and monitors sit on a raised shelf at the back, decks either site, mixer to one side (battle style)

But shit can also just be moved around if I was only going to mix, or only going to use da internet

Need to combine the two pics into 1 desk:

YY1L7mN.png

hGNXHj7.jpg

I'm almost thinking a kallax 2x4 with legs on the bottom (to raise it up) sitting on the other side of the desk could work to sit the screens on and gain more desk space

But there's no way to fit the keyboard around the decks and mixer AND be able to achaly type and use a mouse and shit

what kinda space have you got to work with? to get all that on 1 desk space is an absolute mission! but i like the idea. 

however, i think the ideas you have above will be good but if you have the room to work with, what about building an "L" style. technically, it's 1 desk as it's all connected together but the main thing is you'll have room to work. i'm thinking that this will be a bitch for productivity if you've got everything clustered together. 

the midi keyboard would be good either on the desk or in a slidy draw (or have the computer keyboard that way). i only say that because i have my midi keyboard on my desk with my mac keyboard and it doesn't work well for me. when i'm working on music i have both keyboards side by side. my midi controller is in the centre and the mac keyboard to the left of it.

speaker wise, go with speaker stands - 100%. they're height adjustable and they don't take up a great deal of space. if you build boxes you could soundproof them which will be dope but for the ease and convenience the speaker stands will be the best.

i'll think some more and see if i can think of an ergonomic way to have everything there but it's gonna be a super tight squeeze 

Yeah you're right. It ended up being too hard to put it all on the one desk.

So I made a better shelf and shit fits better. Just need to get the stands for monitors and they can sit either side of the desk.

tbh if I just had a cordless pc keyboard I could just swap that out for the mixer and leave the decks on the right and left, but no need to squash shit in. Will leave the decks on the long desk but at least I can now produce with space.

BEFORE

XdNF6dg.jpg

AFTER

bzortW6.png

I liked @LabRat's idea of a slidey shelf thing for the keyboard and mouse so i made this , getting a wireless keyboard and mouse will make your life 20/10 so much easier + clear up some cord space. 
Then you can have your turntables and shit all in one place.  
Hell, you could even put the slidey drawer under the midi keyboard instead of in the center, to keep the workflow tight 

200z4ol.jpg

That's actually a pretty good fucking setup idea. I think the only problem might be the height of the long desk. With a keyboard draw under it there's not much room to fit the chair in underneath

Will def be getting cordless keyboard today though, even though I love my DAS and boss af mouse

Build a riser like your current monitor one for the midi keyboard, then you can slide keyboard/mouse under dat, have keyboard at the same height as the turntables then = playing keys while experimenting with your turntables.

Cordless sometimes becomes issue with gaming, make sure you get dope set.

8 hours ago, Cupe said:

That's actually a pretty good fucking setup idea. I think the only problem might be the height of the long desk. With a keyboard draw under it there's not much room to fit the chair in underneath

Will def be getting cordless keyboard today though, even though I love my DAS and boss af mouse

Don't go cordless! once you go das you never go back.

I'd go for a vertical or trackball mouse though

I don't game competitively any more anyway, and usually play shit on the PS4. Or else all I play is AOE2 and that's mostly mouse and hotkeys.

Anyway the DAS is forever boss, the cordless is just for tidyness sake.

23 hours ago, BeatLeSS said:

Build a riser like your current monitor one for the midi keyboard, then you can slide keyboard/mouse under dat, have keyboard at the same height as the turntables then = playing keys while experimenting with your turntables.

Are you saying have 3 levels? keyboard mouse underneath midi keyboard underneath screens? That shit will be way too fucking high to look at.

Essentially i could do that with a slide out pc keyboard tray but then it's too low and I like leaning on the massive desk space.

The turntables could fit on either side of this but i don't reckon it's necessary any more. I'll never use the turntables and production shit at the same time. Now I can just make a tight little DJ setup and make this full production setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Cupe,

Have you still got this going or have you built it up already? If you have built it up, are you able to show some pics if its not too much trouble?

I was actually searching the DIY thread over the weekend with the intention of getting ideas and building a new mixing table - but then I found a few designs that I think im going to start drawing out and sketch up for a all on one mixing and production booth.

On ‎9‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 9:33 AM, Cupe said:

I dont really have any major requirements but height would be one, as im a fair tall buggar and dont like bending over to reach the decks....Actually that just inspired me, I think I will have to draw something up today while I think of it.....

Sorry hijacking your thread...

Hows the build coming along? Anything you have thought of since initial inception of the idea? Like 'damn I wish I had space for xxxxx built in'?

hey @Doddy I threw the details for the shelf in here:

I basically gave up on trying to fit everything into the one desk. But I now have a boss studio setup.

This is how it ended up:

WHJB4Mb.jpg

5 hours ago, Doddy said:

Hows the build coming along? Anything you have thought of since initial inception of the idea? Like 'damn I wish I had space for xxxxx built in'?

Probably haven't used it enough yet to see any issues with it. Maybe make sure you know where you want the legs and what you want to be able to fit through before you set them.

Otherwise it's fucking just what I needed. I duno what else I would do with it or any other modifications. Just wish I had a bigger room.

That looks nice and well thought out. Really digging the triple monitor setup as well. I was drawing up some sketches for a new table/booth setup for home. And thought I had some good ideas, but today had an epiphany on the setup so I think I will sketch a few more designs and create a post.

Just for an idea, it will be home made custom build, and right now I'm toying with the idea of a 'U' shape, with it going from my height setup, to middle height for production area, to missus height as I'm sure if it was available, she would spend more time mixing. So me and her back to back and the connection would have the pc and production pieces.

I took a gander at a few sites, and after seeing a few table setups for $800 plus, I think I can get everything in for that price, if not a few hundred less tbh. Just want to work out design that pretty much would have everything needed.

I will start a new thread and post up some drawings and see what you guys think.

Just got home from an 11 hour day so might take a day or 2 to get on the pc and draw them up. Think I'm pretty lucky as I'm thinking this will take up a fair amount of room and we should have the room downstairs where I can build it and piece it together.

Stay tuned!