building a desk...

krsjuan

So I've decided to build a desk for my 1200s and rane 57sl mixer.

I'm going to have a base similar to the expedit ikea bookcases. ie basic boxes for records. and then have either a flat top to sit the gear on or have the gear "inset" into the top.

My real question is. what do you guys think of having the turnies and mixer inset into the top of the desk

eg

jack3.jpg

Can you see any forseeable problems of doing this, in terms of playability?

I do alot of scratching etc.

appreciate the feedback, and any tips in terms of the design would be great

tbh i fucking love that look. wish i had a similar thing.

i guess it would be fine if the cords were easy to reach, for say if you needed to move the decks so you could take them out easy.

Is their enough airflow getting to the motor?, i know with cdj's weve played a few times with ours sitting in the roadcases and they start to overheat so weve started playing with them out of the roadcases. Not sure if thatcould be a factor here.

As far as the looks go....fucking awsome!.

another thing, how fast can you get the decks out of the table. e.g if you were playing with some mates over with a few beers, someone puts a beer on the table and its knocked over, ussulaly the drink would just wash under the decks, but with this it would seem the beer would flow over the decks and mixer and into the things causing major damage.

i guess youd have to have some strict rules in place there :)

Yeah i see what you mean by ease of access.

Im thinking either just a hinged lid type thing. or even just a fully removable lid that lifts straight off.

in relation to overheating. i guess i could just leave the back off the unit open, as it will probably be close to wall and not free standing.

I reckon it would look just as sweet with CDJS. Im thinking of finishing the top off with some sort of vinyl/plastic to make the whole thing smooth

ikea "expedit" or whatever, is what alot of people mod.

expedit.jpg

yeh so turn it on it's side and adapt some kidna top and then some bigger legs to get it to a good height, spend cash of getting it to looks nice, you should be set, until you buy a new mixer/tt then the headaches start

(keep us posted on the build, i hope to do something like this in the future also)

this is why dj's have bad postures :P haha thats way too low. got to put milk crates to dj while standing unless you want to sit and dj thats just uncool =p

but those look leet.

if ya take a look at this

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 1f&ct=mdsa

each one being a single box with hinges at the back to just pop them out. and because they single boxs you could move it around a lot easier. it was something i created when i was bored

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 1f&ct=mdsa

that too make sure to click 3d and see what i done with the back for the cords. if i had the cash dollars i would fix up the design to scale but maybe after hsc.. =( i would also have holes in the back on the sides as the roadcases have to feed wires through..

Goodluck ! tell your dad to make me one!! :D

6 foot 2 (I feel you pain CBG)

The expedit is great for record storage and Ikea also sell a range of legs as well. All you need then is back board to brace the whole thing. I've also seen the same unit with an additional box on top with the decks and mixer inset much like the OP.

ikea "expedit" or whatever, is what alot of people mod.

expedit.jpg

yeh so turn it on it's side and adapt some kidna top and then some bigger legs to get it to a good height, spend cash of getting it to looks nice, you should be set, until you buy a new mixer/tt then the headaches start

(keep us posted on the build, i hope to do something like this in the future also)

Yeah I've researched the expedit. its more of a hassle than its worth.

the depth of the unit is not enough to handle battle facing tables and the height is too low. plus that $50 deal is from 2009.....

hope to get this started in the next couple weeks when uni finishes

Anyone think of any other must have components? novel ways to hide/organise all the cabling?

Also, opinions on having a couple of speaker/monitor stands on the unit Vs having free standing ones?

laptop stand!! :D maybe a pull out keybored area. hidden compartments

Im definitely chucking a laptop stand on it. probably just go with one of the standard metal ones off ebay.

Im sticking with my SL mixer so I dont really need a keyboard atm.

The design i have in mind is something similar to the expedit. ie boxes for recrods/headphones etc. but there wont be any over hang with the top of the unit. kind of like a solid box with front compartments and tables/mixer incorporated into the top.

Free standing speakers or should i incorporate some into the top of the unit?

OR

have 2 monitors on arms on the wall behind the unit..?

ideas ideas!

I think having the monitors on the desk (or arms/stands attached to the desk) would be better. Shifting its location would be a pain if the monitors are bolted to the wall. I've always wondered what it would be like to suspend the speakers from the ceiling? I suspect you would loose a bit of bass as some of the energy from the drivers would be wasted if the enclosures were to move back and fourth.

If you want inspiration, there is another lesser DJ forum that has a large amount of 'set up' pictures.

i've got an ikea shelf as above on it side work heaps good and its high enough i'm 6' makes an awesome record rack/shelf too

on the pic up the top posted by kyle.

as the pic above make sure you make the mixer hole big enough for any mixer then make a second insert for you current mixer that was it you upgrade / change mixer you wont need to fuck about just make a new insert.

same goes for turntables / cdjs if you want to change between the 2.

you guys may have already known this just pointing it out as its a good design feature.

• 2 months later...
So I've decided to build a desk for my 1200s and rane 57sl mixer.

I'm going to have a base similar to the expedit ikea bookcases. ie basic boxes for records. and then have either a flat top to sit the gear on or have the gear "inset" into the top.

My real question is. what do you guys think of having the turnies and mixer inset into the top of the desk

eg

jack3.jpg

Can you see any forseeable problems of doing this, in terms of playability?

I do alot of scratching etc.

appreciate the feedback, and any tips in terms of the design would be great

i love it... hot x

• 3 weeks later...