Stanton ST150 Turntable Rebuild

LabRat

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 30/03/2021 at 8:21 AM, LabRat said:

So sad 😪

We need more space at home. When we eventually move into something bigger I'm going to build a wall with those IKEA boxes and finally set them free

Awesome project dude l have exactly the same sticky stanton problem, been tempted to go down this very road and have a one off custom deck as I only use one now for recording vinyl, thanks so much sharing this theres not a great deal online about this stanton problem 👊🏻

• 6 months later...
On 29/07/2019 at 9:35 PM, LabRat said:

Ladies, Gents and esteemed guests;

I pulled my turntables out of storage the other week to find that after a year and a half of being tucked away, something ridiculous happened to all the plastics and rubber parts. I'm not sure what caused it but it became all sticky and gross. The base and all the buttons were stuffed. It's like that feeling when you pull off a sticker after a long time and all the adhesive is left behind.  

I plugged them in to make sure they still work and so far so good but I didn't want to keep them in this condition. 

After ringing around for parts and such it became increasingly difficult to find anyone who cared. I called the distributer and they said they may have some second hand bits laying around but no bueno so I decided to pull them apart and clean them up myself. Since they were going to be apart, I've decided that I'm going to wrap the faceplate and do the dicer mod!

Quick Note - make sure you keep everything labeled! Take lots of photos and put any parts in labeled zip lock bags so the assembly is much easier

Here's as they were when I pulled them out of storage
uK50lKn.jpg 

You might be able to see the difference in the plastic. The shinier side is where I scrapped a bit of the adhesive off, and the matte is the gunk.
4K4yeNG.jpg

So time to dismantle. There's next to no information about these online so it's a guessing game at the moment. The platter pops right off revealing a few screws. Since I'm wrapping the face plate I need to remove the screws (which I've already done around the platter) the other 4 are unnecessary.
2v4fecw.jpg

There's about 10 screws holding the base together. You can see by the finger prints how stuffed these are
RkCGmsX.jpg

Once the screws are out, you can wiggle the base off. Try not to yank it when doing so. Be gentle, it'll come off
eOSAa9r.jpg

I'm skipping a massive part here but can go int greater detail if requested. It's good to have an old pillow to rest the face plate down on as the hardness of a table could damage the tone arm, buttons or circuitry. To make a long story short, the tone arm isn't clipped in, it's straight wires from the circuit board right through to the carts. This makes it a bit difficult to remove. You'll require a soldering iron here and some basic soldering skills. It's best to melt the solder on the circuit board to remove the wires. I accidentally snapped mine. It's very easy to do as the wires are so thin so be careful.
YAs9Awo.jpg

So this is my current situation. I need to clean all my parts now so it'll be some time before I post updates. Once the parts are cleaned I'll be wrapping the face plate and replacing the decals on the face too. Unfortunately the cleaning product you need to use will remove all text and any kind of printed labels or stickers so you'll need to have these remade if you want to keep them in the future. As I work in the sign and graphics industry this is easy and cheap for me to do myself. I'll probably be doing some custom labels on it rather than replacing the original logos but we'll see how it goes. 

Hopefully in my next update I'll have my colour chosen too 

Hey guys I know its an old post, I had same problem with sticky. Found an easy way to remove the sticky is to use 70% Isopropyl alcohol USP, standard first aid antiseptic, soak a bit on a rag and wipes of with ease, like new.

• 1 month later...

I've just taken mine out, having been in storage for I think over 10 years. The bottom is all sticky like it has glue on. The rest isn't too bad, other than the speed dial. 
I've tried the suggesting above and have wiped a bit down with rubbing alcohol, and it seems to be working so far! Wish me luck!
I haven't pulled them apart, and I'm hoping there is no internal problem. I haven't tried running the yet. but the tone arm seems to be ok.

M