Old dog, new tricks.

And so it begins.

Hey everyone. 

Long story short,  2020 was an absolute sh*t of a year (for most). So for 21 I made the decision to build up a small studio.

Been a long time,  Atari,  Cubase and hardware ruled the world. 

Bought a couple of laptops and an iPad pro,  went legit with software and feel like I got raped in the process but am blown away with tech today. 

Learning to fly so here to find others and learn. 

NI ultimate, Omnisphere 2, FL, Serum,  Spire,  midi guitar 2 (roots are guitarist) and Fabfilter total bundle are what I am starting with. 

Got a NI S49 mk2.

Hope your Easter break is going well. 

Welcome :safe: 2020 certainly wasn’t great for anyone, including myself. Glad to see you getting stuck into some production, I’m taking some time off work to focus on some more production this year myself. What style of tunes are you making?

Can’t help with anything FL (deep in Ableton) but do have Komplete. 

Hi Mitch,  komplete has got a heap of different juices flowing and I don't know exactly what you would call what I am making at the moment... But I am enjoying myself doing it so that's what counts right! 

For most part,  I am just trying to learn how to fly everything and learn technique. 

My drum patterns are weak as piss, I also have a maschine mk2 so going to spend a bit of time learning how to finger drum cause I have pretty tight timing and can play something better than I can write it. 

It's about the journey and not so much the destination, I am not looking for a hit,  or even a gig.  It's purely for my own adventure and mental health. It's about doing something for me for a change. 

On 07/04/2021 at 7:22 AM, And so it begins. said:

Hi Mitch,  komplete has got a heap of different juices flowing and I don't know exactly what you would call what I am making at the moment... But I am enjoying myself doing it so that's what counts right! 

For most part,  I am just trying to learn how to fly everything and learn technique. 

My drum patterns are weak as piss, I also have a maschine mk2 so going to spend a bit of time learning how to finger drum cause I have pretty tight timing and can play something better than I can write it. 

It's about the journey and not so much the destination, I am not looking for a hit,  or even a gig.  It's purely for my own adventure and mental health. It's about doing something for me for a change. 

Had a quick listen, you’ve got a few different styles on the go there. Some intro advice:

• Melodics is a New Zealand based software company which has a great app to teach finger drumming. Think along the lines of Guitar Hero but teaching you actual music on your own controller. It is compatible with the Maschine MK2
  • One thing I’ve found which helps with development/improvement is to not get hung up trying to work on a single track for too long. Work on something for a week or two max, make sure you “finish” (arrange) it, then move on. You’ll find the more tracks you start and complete, the skills will improve over time rather than trying to perfect the first song you make.

Plenty of content in the music production section of the forum to browse through as well, and of course make a new thread if you’ve got a question 👍.