Electronic Dance Music genre information

Gandy

Hello all,

I have been doing a bit of googeling and i cant seem to find a definitive site that breaks down each name and genre of EDM and explains why its called that and what makes it different from the other genres.

I often get stuck for words when explaining to my metal head mates who say "all that shit just sounds the same thers nothing to it" or people not into the music who want to know more.

Also be good read for myself in general too

you say bmore i say booty tech...

i think genres can sometimes be like colours though. what you relate to a genre may not necessarily how another person relates to a genre. and exposure in that scene can usually also determine how you see things.

for example a non hip hop person may call all of it rap (or crap if you feel inclined). while a hip hopper will call it old school, new school, true school, backpacker, conscious, gangsta etc.

or a non punk person may just call it punk, while someone in the scene will say oh thats core, softcore, hardcore, popunk, nu-ska, nu punk etc.

personally i suck at genres but when i cretae crates i genrify it as i see it.

Allthough its good to have general knowledge of genre (which you obviously dont have Gandy, no offence), but remember not to get stuck in genre.

I personally think theyre a load of shit. What defiens the difference between?: minimal, tech, tech house, prog house, deep house, ambient, chillout etc etc.

Just take look at beatport, they have a pretty sensical choice of genres. beyond that... i would bother

Allthough its good to have general knowledge of genre (which you obviously dont have Gandy, no offence), but remember not to get stuck in genre.

I personally think theyre a load of shit. What defiens the difference between?: minimal, tech, tech house, prog house, deep house, ambient, chillout etc etc.

Just take look at beatport, they have a pretty sensical choice of genres. beyond that... i would bother

i would agree (also why i wanted a place to read up on), and yea that was my point how do you tell between all those diff sub genre's

Im here to learn :)