Starting Out.

crundyy

pretty much, just wanting to know the best way to start off gettin into scratching, i been watchin tutorials on youtube just to get a jist of things but its nothing like actually talking to someone and learning from others also keen for some direction as for where to go with turntables/equipment etc, i already established vinyls gona be the go :)

Technics 1200's are the shit for vinyl turntables

for scratching Rane make good mixers

then you'd probably want serato or some shit so you don't have to keep buying vinyl.

The turntablism section of ADJF has alot of vids on how to do certain scratches, they helped me out when i started scratching the first time

i would definately get serato or traktor

if you were to get serato all you need to buy is a rane mixer and the vynals... i think?

im sure you dont need a serato box but i could be mistaken always used serato on cdjs only so not sure

for turntables try pick up some technics 1200 ;)

thats what everyone swears black and blue by

a plus to the rane mixes, is that they a few already have a soundcard inbuilt so really you dont need serato scratch live. =) just give it a read up. im not 100% which ones have and which ones dont.

and also. dont always rush into buying gear. always research, ask heaps of questions!

good turntables for scratching...TEC 1200 or 1210

Vestax pdx 2000 mk2 up to the pdx 3000

Numark tt 500 or TTX

Stanton st8 150 or AA hdt 45

good mixers for Scratching...Vestax 05 pro ( mk2 & up ) , 06 pro 07 pro ,08 pro & 007 pro

RANE ttm 54 & 57....& the tt57 scratch live mixer

stanton sa 12 .

HAK 360 or 380

pioneer 909

good DVS for scratching ...Serato scratch live.

traktor scratch pro ...mixvibes producer

the rane scratch live mixer (as per wazz above) would blow your budget right out already. you could easily get a cheaper 2 channel mixer and buy a 2nd hand SL1 (Skank selling right now check the buy & sell gear).

as to serato or traktor scratch, check the q-bert video in the turntablism section! he he. nah whatever is clever. you have old scratch champs like a-trak who do serato; and craze who does traktor.

for tt's, just make sure direct drives and good torque (only because i have read if you go from lower torque to the full torque machines its intimidating).

the technics range is definitely the best but you have to watch everyday to get a good 2nd hand pair. a lot will go for about $600 ea but every once and a while ive seen a pair go for $1,000. that or save forever to get a brand new pair

oh a couple of things came to mind. we all talking about you getting a DVS setup, but if you dont have a laptop/ computer its not gonna help as that will eat up a good lot of your budget.

other thing was you said you had 2G right.

well if you wait for a sale you could get a setup with that much, and the dj shops sale all the time. i watched ebay for donkeys but ended up getting my gear for just over 2G, but if you can score the SL1 for the cheaps then keeping within budget should be okay.

i got the st150's for $650 ea (damn they only $690 now, they were retailing for about $799 back then)

and traktor scratch for $690. i had planned to use my mates old SA1 mixer (i think that what it was called ) but its cross fader curve switch was fugged so i bought the reloop IQ2 for $550. (in retrospect seeing as i never use the cross fader to mix only for scratch, and the curve was stuck on scratch mode i prob could of used it). total spend $2,540.

anywho what im getting at is on a sale day you could prob get the stantons for less than $650 since their retail price has dropped (say $600). get the stanton SA3 (retails $390 so sale prob $350). so then if you can score an SL1 for $450-$500 you'll have a DVS system for about $2,000.

if you can't just buy 2 dirt style records and practice with those until you can afford/ find a SL1 (or you may fall in love with vinyl and never look back! ). nearly every tutorial ive seen except maybe dj angelo (whos tutes are awesome as he does combos and allows you to play with him) use the dirt style super seal records anywho

cheers mang, i had to read that a few times and check google heaps to find out wot everything you talked about is but im gettin the idea haha i gota mate who just got cdj's who used to spin vinyls so im llokin into buying his but you reckin go the stantons? i'll geez some sites or if your in the mood to be more a of a champ than ya are hoo oo oo oo ook hook me up

no worries all part of the friendly service here. when you say hook you up, as in links to sites? or hook you up w/ turnies. okay you can have my stantons for $1000 each :P ha ha

what does yer mate have? yeah not necessarily recommending the stantons, but just saying if you cant afford new technics or cant find good second hand ones then yes go the stantons (or the american audio ones which are essentially the same machine). and even more so wait till sale day, or try to negotiate if you buying shyte loads but i have never had any luck with that at the dj stores unless they price matching.

in case you were wanting links

stanton st-150's or str8-150's (the straight arm is the preferred for scratchers but you see lots of pros not using it so not essential).

http://www.stantondj.com/v2/prod_st150.asp

http://www.stantondj.com/v2/prod_str8150.asp

stanton SA3 mixer. very basic 2 channel mixer with no effects which you will probably want to upgrade one day. but just for straight out scratching, or hip hop/ rnb mixing its plenty enuff.

http://www.stantondj.com/v2/prod_sa3.asp

and as for the digital vinyl system (DVS) which will allow you to play and control mp3's using vinyl you can got serato or traktor scratch pro. this you dont necessarily need to start up. especially if beginning with scratching (as above just get 2 dirt style records see below), but eventually when you want to start playing more music, by having a DVS you can take advantage of whatever mp3 or CD collection you already have.

but as i mentioned the jury is out as to which one is better. from what ive read (as i have never used serato) is the traktor sound card is better quality and its time code is more accurate; but the serato interface is more simpler and makes more sense, plus is heaps more stable. but yeah the pro's use both so if you can try to have a smash at both (though 5 mins in a shop probably wont do it justice).

for serato in your budget prob the SL1

http://serato.com/scratchlive/rane-sl1

and TSP

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... ratch-pro/

as to where to buy depends on where ya at but everywhere has

dj warehouse

store dj

lights sounds

that you can google!

oh almost forgot dirt style records. okay here is the full list from qberts website, but you can get at record store, red eye, and the dj shops above. however i did once calculate that if you buying heaps its cheaper to get off qberts thud rumble shop.

http://www.thudrumble.com/shop/vinyl.html

oh man i just realised you can get these digitally. gonna start another post.....

cheers mate your a legend, yeh i just meant sites though if i was heaps cashed up id buy 'em off ya haha.yeh i had a look at the serato website and tutorials on youtube n thought i wouldnt really need them as of yet cos im only just starting but i can definatley see them being useful in the future.. cheers for all the advice bro.

no they are different.

i have only played with technics a few times at the record store (i cant remember what the rental equip we were using in the 80's), and that was early in the day when i first got my stantons.

i am pretty sure they play the same but maybe someone with experience on both can give you better advice? wazza owns one of everything.

but i can only go by the specs, the difference are:

* 1200's have the click at zero pitch (which some people hate)

* stantons have a wider pitch range (i.e. technics are +/- 8% only). but admittedly you start to pitch over this and you start to mess with the song. however i do occassionally use it to pitch down a wonky electro/ house song which has no vocals to link together two booty tech/ miami bass tracks.

* stantons have the pitch control button (i.e. keep constant pitch of the song even when you have pitch up or down), but i have never used it. in fact i think you can only use it with line out but i use phono out

* stantons have 3 speeds (33,45,& something else). as use time codes ive never used

* stantons come fully loaded as opposed to technics you need to buy your cartridge

* technics come with dust cover

* stantons have more torque (i.e. the strength of the platter to go from zero to full speed) but considering everyone uses technics i dont think its a major issue

* stantons have adjustable start and stop strengths for the platter

* technics apparentally last forever if taken care of. you see heaps of 10 year old machines on ebay.

oh forgot to say what they like.

they are very good. again i dont really have anything to compare with but it definitely suits my needs. they seem sturdy enough (and weigh 20kgs each). the included cartridge is actually different than the what the box or listings state and are actually better. it came with stantons 680.V3

i find the pitch very smooth and very stable (i.e. you hear a lot about people having to keep tweaking the pitch as the speed starts to sway). found torque to be really good and songs get to full speed almost immediately.

no no no thats not right mate.

look give me your mates number and ill sort him out

(ill offer him $750 :teef:)

look at $700 as long as they operate properly i.e. cables all working, platter torque (start and stop) isnt so bad, that the pitch stays reasonably constant then its freaking awesome. in fact you prob owe him a case of brewskies too.

not too mention at that price you could prob spend a couple hundred more for a service (okay i have no idea how much a service is...).