CDJ's vs. Software Programs

AndyTraxx

Hello all,

Ok, so ive always been a man of the CDJ's but went into a comp a few weeks back and this dude absolutely killed with with mash'ups on his PC.

I mean...fair enough, sounded sick and all that, but i was watching him, and it seriously looked like he was just doing a "drag and drop"???

So ive been thinking... is it time to jump ship and head down the PC / software path? I haven't done any demos yet so my question is;

1. What is the best software out there to do demos on?

2. What is the best software which you would use playing live gigs and all that?

I still am a fan of my CDJ's and not really crash hot about making the move, but seriously...this guy totally killed it with his laptop hey. haha.

there are two different things here though.

was the dude djing i.e. going from song to song using premade music

or remixing and/or performing on the spot?

if the latter ableton live is your best bet, which allows you to set off music tracks on the go and do shit to it like loops or effects.

if the former then a multitude of software vdj or traktor pro are probably most used. though if you got cdj's not sure why you would want to go down this route?? unless maybe you were going to get a dedicated controller.

and just to grey it people also remix on the fly using vinyl and cd's, now thats the sheeeet

I'd be banking on that guy using ableton...

Most people have their own opinion on what software is the best, but it all comes down to personal preference.

Just try the demos of each and see what you like best and buy it.... then learn the software inside out.

I personally went with traktor, and am enjoying it.

so in answer to your OP question depends on what you are trying to achieve will determine whats best.

do you still want to predominantly dj then maybe do live blends and remixes? or is your intention to do performances instead where you might do live (using ableton) songs/ remixes you may have produced and/ or even just start creating them on the spot.

i went the opposite way to you dude

i went from software to CDJ's and have found that the CDJ's actually take skill and software seems to be the lazy mans way out, no offence to anyone using it

like you can easily press autosync for the programs that have it, but even the ones that dont i found i never really used me ears i just looked at the music bars

but software is cheaper then CDJ's, in my opinion thats the only + :P

i went from software to CDJ's and have found that the CDJ's actually take skill and software seems to be the lazy mans way out, no offence to anyone using it

like you can easily press autosync for the programs that have it, but even the ones that dont i found i never really used me ears i just looked at the music bars

just get a DVS system, best of both worlds

just get a DVS system, best of both worlds

Was thinking of hooking My hercules up n trying it out, but thought id get my head fully around the CDJ's 1st :)

dude stay with the cdj's. just think how awesome you would look doing a 4 deck mash up or something! thats where these digital guys forget what djing is really about. keep it real brutha :P

Traktor Can Handle 4 Decks Simultaneously :)

As much as I love both formats, I cant understand why they would put someone with CDJ's up against a laptop?

With a CDJ you have to spend a portion of your time beatmatching and possibly cuing the track. On on a laptop you can do all that before you even arrive at the competition. Completely different skill sets!

In all fairness they should have had a second round (after say 30 minutes) with you on his laptop and he using your CDJ's. You would have killed him!

If your going to go with software, dont give up your CDJ's. One day you might end up at an outdoor gig and pooders dont much like the power comming out of generators...

YOU HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU.

YOU HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU.

i have :) and although its much much more expensive, im loving it :D

As much as I love both formats, I cant understand why they would put someone with CDJ's up against a laptop?

With a CDJ you have to spend a portion of your time beatmatching and possibly cuing the track. On on a laptop you can do all that before you even arrive at the competition. Completely different skill sets!

In all fairness they should have had a second round (after say 30 minutes) with you on his laptop and he using your CDJ's. You would have killed him!

If your going to go with software, dont give up your CDJ's. One day you might end up at an outdoor gig and pooders dont much like the power comming out of generators...

U know u can DJ properly using Software. I run Traktor Pro on my Hercules n am goin fine without "cheating". Theres nothing that says just cause u run from a computer u have to press "sync" or look at the bpm etc. U can easily do it just like on a cdj.

U know u can DJ properly using Software. I run Traktor Pro on my Hercules n am goin fine without "cheating". Theres nothing that says just cause u run from a computer u have to press "sync" or look at the bpm etc. U can easily do it just like on a cdj.

although i do agree with you man an i used to say the same thing, it all came down to (for me) that no club is going to let you Play with a laptop and midi....sorry but someone broke it to me that blunt, and i thank them :P

thats why i switched to CDJ's, because im working towards hopefully getting a club gig, but weather you are or not i dont know, still love my hercules as well :thumright:

learn to use turntables & all the C.d Players & all the software you can because the D.j seen & D.j gear is moving so fast & so far from when I started D.Jing.....that you do not want to be lift behind

and you don't want to get a SHOCK when you go and play in a new club

and there is a d.j set-up you have never seen before

although i do agree with you man an i used to say the same thing, it all came down to (for me) that no club is going to let you Play with a laptop and midi....sorry but someone broke it to me that blunt, and i thank them :P

thats why i switched to CDJ's, because im working towards hopefully getting a club gig, but weather you are or not i dont know, still love my hercules as well :thumright:

Yeh man...Well my aim is to eventually get some CDJ's. Just didnt want to fork huge amounts of $ untill i knew i was fully into it/had some skill.

Just wanted to put to rest the common belife that just cause u run from a laptop u can't DJ. (I'm not saying there arn't people that do "cheat", just not everyone does)

EDIT: Thats people that use a controller. If ur only using ur laptop then well then theres no way to do it other than "cheat".

Just as an FYI...i beat the dude with the laptop in the DJ comp. lol

But on a lighter note, i was just watching a few Youtube vids on the new record box with the CDJ2000's etc.

Looks really cool. Ive got 1000's at the moment but seriously thinking to trade them in for some 2000's and give this record box and usb stuff a go!

Anyone used it before?