Maxing out/Red Bars on mixer

Jaz

(my mixer = DJM400, just like in the Vid)

So i have to ask the question just to clarify in case im being retarded....again

so i always thought when the top Bar turns red it means you have turn down your gain...

but then i saw this video in the beginner section and the chick who im guessing is a legit DJ and knows what she is doing, has the gain on both channels clipping...

what is the appropriate way? to have it on the last yellow bar? to have it just clipping the red occasionally? to have it red all the time (NO obviously)?

I make sure it rarely hits the red. Push your channel fader all the way up and use your trim/gain knob, to adjust the levels.

RED IS BAD!

However, after looking at the 400, it only has like 8 lights and no yellow, so what she' doing would be ok i guess.

On most mixers, it gives you a Yellow light, which is 0dB. theres is where you wanna be.

You can holiday in the red, but you wouldnt wanna live there

Bouncing into the "Red zone" is OK.

If you want to be louder, then once you have your mixer set up so that the signal isn't being distorted (ie full red bars) then adjust your amplifiers for a louder sound.

All your doing when running your mixer in the red is distorting the signal, which is then amplified through your speakers which:

a) sounds terrible

B) causes hearing problems

c) can damaged your speakers

However, after looking at the 400, it only has like 8 lights and no yellow, so what she' doing would be ok i guess.

It does look that way in the video but it has four green (-10 to 0db), two yellow (2 to 4db) and one red (over).

So I'm guessing the red begins at +6db on this mixer.

Ideally your signal should be between -5 and +5db, averaging at 0db.

In the video Sarah is consistently hitting the red which is BAD :evil: