DvS Setup Options?

legunner

well if your going to use the S4 as the mixer (easy enough) you just need traktor or serato, the apropriate soundcard, and some Turntables's

now, do you want to be able to fully use your S4 as 2 decks as well as the vinyl tables as 2 decks? if you do you will need a 4 channell soundcard like the Audio 8 for traktor

whats your budget? i meen if you want a really really cheap set up im sure you can find some bum ass vinyl decks on ebay but i think if your gonna spend the money get something moderate at least, try for some stantons

if you have the NI traktor s4 the only thing you need is the new traktor scratch pro 2 software

and then wait for the tsp 2 software up date , so you can uses the s4 as time code vinyl/C.D/ HID midi hardware ....you will be able to have 2 decks controlled by the s4 & 2 controlled by turntables / c.d players....4 decks in traktor scratch pro

its only going cost you $180...https://www.storedj.com.au/products/NI-KNTRLS4UPG

if you have the NI traktor s4 the only thing you need is the new traktor scratch pro 2 software

and then wait for the tsp 2 software up date , so you can uses the s4 as time code vinyl/C.D/ HID midi hardware ....you will be able to have 2 decks controlled by the s4 & 2 controlled by turntables / c.d players....4 decks in traktor scratch pro

its only going cost you $180...https://www.storedj.com.au/products/NI-KNTRLS4UPG

this...

okay so my budget isn't an issue really but i don't want to get anything major now as im just learning. if i have traktor 2 do i still need to pay the rest for traktor scratch?

theres an upgrade to scratch, but you don't need to buy the full blown package cause you can use the S4 as your sound card, instead of the audio6/10.

then all you do is connect your cd players or turntables to the S4 (might wanna check and see if phono works with the S4) with time coded cd's or vinyl and you're off and racing.

as wazza mentioned, this is what you want:

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/NI-KNTRLS4UPG

okay so i don't need an audio6/10 if i use my s4? that's pretty cool then. so all i have to do now is buy 2 TT's and tsp

correct... but i would check and see if phono will work with your S4, otherwise looks for stantons cause they have a line out as well as phono. Perhaps others can will know the answer and/or possibile TT's with line outs.

only get a direct drive.

belt drives wear out and dont have the required torque for djing. remember you will be cueing and hence stopping, holding and then releasing the record. also i think direct drives better hold the pitch.

if im not mistaken the direct drive was the one technics pateneted, then when that ended all the super OEMs came out.

other than price (which is a massive deciding factor. i.e. buy the best you can afford), the things that get mentioned are:

* torque - i would always recommend getting no less than the techs which are on the lower end.

* arms - this is debatable and dependent on what you want to do. in summary straights hold better but eat your vinyl (possibly also have some noise). s or curved dont hold as well, have a better sound and are better on your vinyl

* pitch range - again this thing is as necessary as you think you may use it. techs from memory have +/- 8%. some go to like +/- 25%, but really the track will sound stupid

* quartz locks - which mean that at 33/45/76 the pitch will play exactly that

okay so pretty much a straight armed TT would be fine for using with timecoded vinyl wouldn't it?

and when you say i would always recommend getting no less than the techs what do you mean? like is that meaning that i shouldnt buy anything but technics?

sorry about my general lack of knowledge, thanks for baring with me :)

yes straight arms can be used on timecode.

in regards to the techs, i wouldnt recommend getting a turntable with torque less than a tech 1200. so that will mean get either a tech 1200 or one of the super OEMs (st150's, the american audio one, the vestax one. im sure theres a thread for it somewhere ill link if i come across it).

yes... ST8 tonearm are all good for DVS

on my vestax PDX 3000 & 2000 ,there all got st8 & works good

on my vestax pdx 2300 pro , its a J tonearm & work good

on my AA hdt 45's & my old 1200 , there C tonearm

& work good.....any st8 , J or C will work good

I think he means that the 1200 is standard where all other turntable have to reach ....any TT with the same or better Speck will work

• 2 months later...

And here's another link you may be interested in reading.

Contrary to an earlier statement, I don't believe the Vestax PDX series is Super OEM.

I'd suggest you only go s-arm, and base your selection between the Stanton ST-150 and Vestax PDX3000-MIX based on price and looks...

S-arm is more prevalent (you don't want to be used to the additional traction provided by the straight-arm only to never use them beyond your own setup) and you'll get more wear on your vinyl and CVs than on the straight-arm.

(Yes, hi-fi decks have straight-arms on them, but those are also a few inches longer with an angled mount, coming closer to the optimal tangential (terminology?) angle)