Vinyl boys get in here.

legunner

Alright guys so at the moment i have 2 technic 1200s, numark dxm01, a behringer ddm4000 and a traktor s4 with my trusty macbook.

What i want to know is what software should i be looking at getting?

I understand that i can use the s4 as a soundcard but would i be better off getting my own for when i play out in the clubs?

Why Traktor over Serato?

Which setup should i be using out of these listed items?

well you've alerady got the mixer and TT's so you might as well get the soundcard + traktor pack used for like $300 on ebay, do you already have S4?

if you do already have an S4 id get a 4 chanel soundcard and hook the TT's, Mixer and S4 into the soundcard and use the TT's as 2 decks and the S4 as the other 2 decks...that way you will always have it all set up so if you can just use whatever your feeling

NI 4 or NI8 soundcard so you can use the timecode from your vinyl. you get one or other when you buy traktor anyway.

like djaz said: set up timecode via soundcard and use s4 for the extra dex in traktor, thats a phat rig mate.

serato/traktro differences are matter of taste IMO but if you have an s4 already it wont be nice to serato so def go traktro route.

u mean:

never used vinyl, never used a slipmat, never set up a cartridge, never set tone arm height, never set tracking, never balanced counter weight, never wired up soundcard, never used timecode...

...never run before you can walk.

... never believe people who say they dont read the manuals

if i were you i'd take it slow and be sure you know what you've done... too many fools rush in then cant remember what steps they took so cant rectify.

lookin fwd to seeing your thread karma, should be a rite laff!

u mean:

never used vinyl, never used a slipmat, never set up a cartridge, never set tone arm height, never set tracking, never balanced counter weight, never wired up soundcard, never used timecode...

...never run before you can walk.

... never believe people who say they dont read the manuals

if i were you i'd take it slow and be sure you know what you've done... too many fools rush in then cant remember what steps they took so cant rectify.

lookin fwd to seeing your thread karma, should be a rite laff!

pretty much haha, fuck this is going to be some learning process. im keen as but

good 4 u.

get some beat up old vinyl to use just to check your getting signal and to use to balance your cart, set tone arm height etc.

This process is v likely to cause scratches to vinyl so dont use your favs.

oh and in case no one told you yet: the big chunky thick rubber slipmat on each deck belongs in the bin, get some dj friendly slipmats unless your 2nd hand purchase came with those.

good 4 u.

get some beat up old vinyl to use just to check your getting signal and to use to balance your cart, set tone arm height etc.

This process is v likely to cause scratches to vinyl so dont use your favs.

oh and in case no one told you yet: the big chunky thick rubber slipmat on each deck belongs in the bin, get some dj friendly slipmats unless your 2nd hand purchase came with those.

Yeah i just read a few vids on youtube it seems like i will pick it up, i understand the concept of what they are trying to do with adjusting the tone arm and stuff. this should be cool :)

aye, it aint hard, just do it in the right order.

I used to work in a dj eqpt shop and we'd get idiots asking for money back on traktor when the issues they were getting were becasue they hadnt set up there carts properly in the 1st place and shit.

plenty more knowledge available nowadays.

ohk true true, yeah im going to practise using old vinyls that my mum and dad have then progress from there i think, no use using traktor if i cant use the turntables with vinyl i feel.

im sure ive said it before once or two hundred times :lol:

takes about 4-5 songs going from having used tsp only to using actual vinyl. there is no change in the process, except instead of using the keyboard to go thru songs and then pressing control arrow; you are diggin thru a crate and then putting it on the tt.

the actual mixing, pitching, cueing is exactly the same.

in fact you can set traktor so that you have to flip the time code to change tracks, so you get the feeling of changing records every song.

oh and im sure your olds prob wont want you to scratch up their stash! ha ha ha.

go check second hand stores and look for some donna summer, rick james, bootsy collins, parliament funk and the like

hey eggs, its true old bean for sure, but karma has never set up turntables, we were talking about how to approach cart balance, tone arm height, anti skate etc...

i was just recommending he use some old vinyl while sorting that bit b4 he tries to add TSP to his mix.

are there any links on here he could follow? surely cupe has covered setting up technics b4?