Just starting out - Gear advice?

Hi guys, I'm new to the art of djing and I love my music so I thought why not give it a try ?

It would be my first time djing so therefore first time buying dj gear. Does all DJ gear perform the same functions and mixes, sounds etc?? Im not too sure of the terms used in 'dj language'.

Anyway, where is the best place to buy DJ gear from and what do I need? Ive looked at a couple of second hand setups and wanted your advice on them.

Here they are:

1) Full DJ setup includes 2x pioneer cdj 800mk2's 1 x pioneer djm400 mixer 4x 12 inch active 400w pa speakers and stands 1x lighting stand with mirror ball with motor 2x neon coloured spot/strobe lights 1 x moonflower dancefloor light 2 x white strobe lights 1 x sennheiser hd25 headphones 1 x usb interface for recording sets speakers cdj's and mixer only a few months old some stuff never used. (Price: Around 3k)

2) 2 Pioneer cdj1000 mk3 decks a djm400 mixer and all the cords. (Price: 2.3k)

Does it matter how many channels and specifications like that??? Im not on a tight budget but I also dont wanna go spending rediculous amounts as I might not have the talent, keep the interest.

Thanks guys :D

The eat place to buy new is www.storedj.com

the best places used are here, eBay, gumtree n there isn't much else really

as for the set ups you listed thr 1st 1 easily wins, it has way way more stuff and it costs less...and the second 1 is over prices anyway man, used djm400 = $400 , used cdj1000Mk3 pairs go for like 1300-1400 all the time so that guy wants to much

first set up looks the goods mate.

800's are really nice, and have a lot of features. Those combined with the djm400 will be a really good place to learn, and keep you going for a long time (ie. you won't have to upgrade unless you decide you want a different platform.)

what are your plans? to do house parties etc? if so, that lighting set up should get you up and running straight away, but if you don't plan on doing parties straight away, you can always save some cash and find a set up without the lights

the first setup you mention is great if you are planning on being a mobile DJ. I'm not sure if it's good value or not though. There are a few other guys on here that would have a better idea of it's value than me, and hopefully they will chime in.

The 800s are much like the 1000's but you get auto loops instead of hot cues, and the pitch resolution isn't as accurate (it's still fine though... 0.04% vs 0.02%).

others may suggest cdj400s as well

I'm going to suggest DNS3700's (i'm biased though) from store DJ. they are awesome decks and can be had brand new for $699 ea

nothing wrong with a djm400, they are solid little mixers. you really don't need more than two channels at this point, or even in the future for that matter.

BTW, you have a pretty large budget for a beginner, it's not neccessary to spend that much when you're learning the ropes

true... lloyd is right. even these packs would be fine to get you started and for a long time to come, they are brand new and a fraction of the price.

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/DEN-PK-DNS1200

or

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/DEN-PK-DNS1200-2

my mate had the 1200's and they served him really well, he still has them, the only reason he doesn't use em so much now is he bought the denon dn-mc6000, but i've used them too and they are really solid, especially for the price and for just starting.

you may not want a pack, buty it gives you a better idea of what you can get for your money

^ agree with pundaddy on that.

All that shit really is not important right now. honestly its more shit to mess around with and take your mind off the most important thing. The music!

its not important unless he is doing party's

has anyone noticed how many of these threads are popping up lately.

also, with the pa speakers you where talking about, don't worry about getting 4 12", just get the pair of 15" and that will do you perfectly fine man. Or you could just hire speakers.

edit: also, prehaps start with something simple and cheap, that way if you do it and turns out you don't like it, then you can just sell it off with not to much money lost.

has anyone noticed how many of these threads are popping up lately.

what's your point? People came to a dj forum to ask for advice on what dj gear to buy.... seems reasonable to me....

I ment as in alot more than usual

We should make a thread where people write they're first setup/costs/pros/cons....

Then when somebody asks we can say "search is your friend" and be all smug about it.

+ rep

that is very very cheap, cant even get them on ebay auctions for that cheap, well spotted sol...got a link for it????

rental stuff can take a beating though as you can imagine but im sure StoreDJ would clean and service there stuff etc

that is very very cheap, cant even get them on ebay auctions for that cheap, well spotted sol...got a link for it????

rental stuff can take a beating though as you can imagine but im sure StoreDJ would clean and service there stuff etc

no links, go to the birthday sale and go to the very bot, you have to call there melb store to order them

edit: also, they have the djm 400 for $300

wow, that means a full 400 set for $1000

no links, go to the birthday sale and go to the very bot, you have to call there melb store to order them

edit: also, they have the djm 400 for $300

wow, that means a full 400 set for $1000

fuck that makes me pissed! i bought my cdj400's and djm400 and roadcase for like $1700 but they were and are mint condish...wonder what the ex rentals are like, if they are good thats a mad deal

ive used rentals alot when djing for private functions outside of my hometown, there fine, most of the time ppl take okish care of it because if they do trash it they have to pay full price for it

just like buying a demo car from car yards really

ive used rentals alot when djing for private functions outside of my hometown, there fine, most of the time ppl take okish care of it because if they do trash it they have to pay full price for it

just like buying a demo car from car yards really

i've used some fucked up cdj1000's that have been rentals.

you'd want to check them before purchased

true... lloyd is right. even these packs would be fine to get you started and for a long time to come, they are brand new and a fraction of the price.

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/DEN-PK-DNS1200

or

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/DEN-PK-DNS1200-2

my mate had the 1200's and they served him really well, he still has them, the only reason he doesn't use em so much now is he bought the denon dn-mc6000, but i've used them too and they are really solid, especially for the price and for just starting.

you may not want a pack, buty it gives you a better idea of what you can get for your money

Thanks man, I checked that out , much cheaper and probably better because they're brand new. For those that think I wanted the lights and stuff, I don't, It just was part of the package the guy is selling. Are the packs on DJ store better than the one I listed?? I want a pack so I can start with everything

I just need help with specifics, I don't know what brand or model perform what functions? Spending between the 1-2k mark is cool with me, but I want something that is gonna be able to perform most / all sounds/ mixes / etc ( I don't know how to word it in DJ talk).

Thanks for all the replies guys