recording booth

Skank

ok try to follow me here, im going to make my own recording booth in my garage like a self contained almost sound proof box .

i have only year 10 wood work skills no tools and fuck all money

i also have no idea what i need to make it but it will be done

anyone have any handy links or ideas for me ill post up my progress over the next few months as it develops

if worst comes to worst i can turn it into a sauna :D

ok so you want a sound resistant box with recording stuff on the otherside of some form of glass(lexan type)?

how much space do you have to work with?

rough dimensions- total space and how big you want/need the 2 rooms to be? you can get away with having a minimal space on the recording side and a reasonable size on the live side.

budget? if it's a this is how much i've got to work with or an ongoing project?

i know it's a bit of a ball breaker of questions but all this information can mean the difference between building too big or small and killing the wallet.

i've been to sae in adelaide and sussed out their rooms, and i can talk to 48 records now they're in adelaide-they've built a couple, and i've been to a few garage built ones and picked the builders brain

i just want 1 booth not 2 i got a huge space like a garage i was lookin at makin it dimensions 7foot high 6foot wide 6foot deep i got 3 grand to play with for now but thats just for the booth not mics and computers

geez that's tiny you must have a very compact setup, i guess i like a bit more room to move though i'd probably go with 3m x 3m square floorplan, you'll need an entry door nice and thick and a shit load of sound proofing for walls, floor and ceiling espesially around entry points and ventilation-you will need this don't want to die in your sound proof box. for really good tech stuff check this site http://www.soundproofing.com/soundproof ... icles.html

it is trying to sell their product but it does have the right info

sounds interesting man, will love to hear the sound of recordings when its done. are you putting in insulated walls?

when i used to be in a band we had a jam room, it was pretty big 4x6m maybe? then we had like that thinkish ply stuff with all the little holes in it. then carpet underlay behind it... worked ok.

you may need some sort of dampener on the ceiling though depending on height,

• 3 months later...

plus you will need sound proofing

you can do it the cheap cheep way

or

the cost $$$ way

1. Cheap way: is get Egg Cartons and line all 4x walls

2. Cost way: is buy sound proofing shown here - try this site and then do a google search on who sells what you need in your local area

here is the website

http://www.acoustica.com.au/soundbroadcastin.html

hope that helps

• 9 months later...

In the old television days the cheapest way to deaden a hall was with insulation batts held in place with chicken wire.

Did this for a recording studio but was too dead and had to leave some wall exposed till the balance was right.