Semi Hot Cue's On Non Hot Cue CDJ's

Jaz

so after seeing foolish's thread on CDJ900's not having Hot Cue's ive decided to share a small tip ive been fucking around with on CDJ's that dont have hot cue's...

there is a little fucking around but its possible, for example, if i want 4 Cue's at 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, and 4:00 minutes in a song i simply set them up as normal on my CDJ2000...but i want something similar on my 850's i cant...but kinda can....

The most obviously way is to set up Cue memory's everywhere and just call them in...on my CDJ850's this is easy as the Cue loads from the memory instantly...but on my old 400's it used to take about 2-3 seconds and i think it stoped the song playing if i remember correctly?...another way is using the loop in as a cue for later...

quick example, i set up my standard cue at 1:00 and use it to mix the song in from the previous song, then i have a cue memory set at 2:00 and use it when i need to, then the song gets to 3:00 and at the last minute i realise i want to use this breakdown or verse or vocal sample etc later so i hit loop in, let the song keep playing until whenever i want to use that part, then hit loop out either bringing in that breakdown or verse again, or maybe im mixing in another song and i want to use that vocal as a stutter build like at 25 minutes in this mix

http://soundcloud.com/all-that-jaz/quick-electro-house-mix

There is multiple ways to do that, either useing the loop in button inside the loop, using the Cue button as the cue will be set to the start of that loop, or syncing up the loop and using the volume faders to cut in and out the bits that you want....i was using the cue botton intead of the loop in and the faders there, could have been cleaner but it was good enough...

ok now say im done with that vocal sample and i want to mash a verse from that same song into the current 1 playing, ditch the loop and bring in your cue memory at 4:00 which is at the verse i want, song should already be beatmatched so just bring it in at the apropriate time and mash away

i dunno :? , its nothing major, just a few tips some people might find useful :) great way to chop and choose parts of a song you want....you can either prep this before you start mixing or its easy enough to do with 1-2 minutes of spare time while another song is playing...what do you think?

^nice post Jaz.

I prefer to use hotcues as a kind of sampler though. i.e. I set 3 before I've even begun playing a track and juggle with them, use them like drum machine pads, or use them jump to entirely dif tracks on the cd.

I dont think your semi-hot-cues would be able to cope with that.

but worthy for what you are doing with them :)

just repping jaz,

now i've got rekord box and can spend a bit of time setting memory points I can see how using the memory call on a cdj900 will be almost a workaround for hot cues. They dont play from the press of a button like hot cues but I can jump to them and be ready to go. If you will allow me to be so bold I'm going to call them "tepid cues"

I wont be able to jump str8 to and play the cue but the timing is such that I can call up a memory cue, and play from a count in. Just means I need to factor in a 4 beat break for each "tepid cue".

Or if i'm doubling on both dex I can call up a "tepid cue" and it'll act as a hot cue when I cut from the doubled deck.

I had figured on setting all the memory points at gigs on the fly, but now i have rekord box I can set them visually while chilling and this makes a huge difference.

So cheers jaz, works better than I thought :)