Noob looking for guidance

Tayownzu

So I'm looking into producing electronic music and possibly DJ because I reckon it would be ideal for me because firstly I sit on the computer for the majority of the day, I listen to electronic music, I have always wanted to produce music, fourth I'm some what of a elitist and strive to perfect what ever I am doing. So I decided why not have a crack at something that I'm interested in and possibly make a career out of it. Now to the point of the thread, I don't know were to begin, what software offers what etc and do I need any equipment of some sort to produce quality stuff. I had a look at fruity loops a long time ago and my mind was blown at how complicated it was lol. Serious noob but I'm willing to learn. So yeah can you guys lend me a hand and maybe I'll pay you back when I'm ballin rich : P hopefully.

Download trials of DAW's such as Ableton, FL Studio, Logic, etc.

Watch some tutorials on YouTube and have a play around.

From there, purchase the software that you feel most comfortable with.

The only things I'd worry about purchasing straight up would be a decent set of headphones, or studio monitors.

The rest isn't necessary for a beginner.

You really need to work out which path you want to take.

From there it's a matter of your budget.

Next step is learning, and the best place for that is these forums..

Can you please shed some light on the paths.

Well for starters there's an epic difference in pathtaking between DJ'ing and Producing

But the first step is like he said ^ mess with all the trial versions of the DAW's and find something that works for you

DJ'ing can always come later, and the real money these days is in production, then dj'ing your own shit ala deadmau5

I'll try fruity loops as it seems like the most commonly used I think? My headphones at the moment are audio technica ath-ad700 not sure if they are up to standards but that doesn't matter atm I need to learn this software. Could someone please refer me to a decent studio monitor that is cheap. Will fork out for a good one once I get the hang of this. I also have a asus xonar dx as my sound would it be ideal to set the driver settings to default?

I'll try fruity loops as it seems like the most commonly used I think? My headphones at the moment are audio technica ath-ad700 not sure if they are up to standards but that doesn't matter atm I need to learn this software. Could someone please refer me to a decent studio monitor that is cheap. Will fork out for a good one once I get the hang of this. I also have a asus xonar dx as my sound would it be ideal to set the driver settings to default?

Asking a few specific questions there (headphones, monitors) would be better making new threads in the other sections for a more targeted response by the guys who know that shit the best

When I started producing I used fruity loops (this was about 10 years ago though) and I had a piece of shit computer and some broken pc speakers and demo software that had a 5 minute recording limit - none of my tracks before 2000 are longer than 5 mins lawl

if you really a perfectionist I guess you are aware you should walk before you should run.

By this I mean investigate as much as you can before going and buying a load of top end eqpt. Check you have the ability to choose the sounds and build arrangements if you are producing. Check you have the ability to mix well and read the crowd before if you are going the DJ path.

Then when you have more info at your disposal you can upgrade gear and polish it all safe in the knowledge you are not wasting your own time.

pretty good for first day man, im impressed

just remember with EDM, loops are generally 4 beats in a bar and 4 bars in a phrase

Man i need to learn the terminology this doesn't mean anything to me sorry to say >.<

I also have no clue what to set the tempo to i just set it to 128 because deadmau5 song.

pretty good for first day man, im impressed

just remember with EDM, loops are generally 4 beats in a bar and 4 bars in a phrase

Man i need to learn the terminology this doesn't mean anything to me sorry to say >.

I also have no clue what to set the tempo to i just set it to 128 because deadmau5 song.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8114

Check it :thumright:

And ask ANY questions mang, someone will help you out without making you feel like a dick

had no idea what I was doing I literally grabbed stuff and random and made the most of it lol!

you know what mate: that is EXACTLY how house and hip hop were invented all those years ago. All modern EDM just evolved from a few guys grabbing stuff at random (or grabbing stuff coz they loved the sound of it) and then making the most of it.

The key is "making the most of it"

Good start, keep up the good work :)

sup guys, lately i have been pretty occupied and haven't touched fl studio since, but i have had some time to watch some ste1438 tutorials and was wondering if you guys know of other tutorials of this quality. Also i am looking for some advice on how should i approach mastering fl studio, for example should i break down a song or or try and remake one etc. I'm also curious about midi keyboards as i can imagine it would be pretty handy check out this video @ 2.34

Cheers for the positive feed back, great forum btw i'm suprised

I've used reason for years without a midi, it's pretty sick but a keyboard would help like mad (like you can see in old mates clip)

Have you check this thread for FL Studio:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8098

And not sure if this one might also help:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8192&p=114467

Cheers for the positive feed back, great forum btw i'm suprised

:thumright: Welcome to ADJF

• 2 weeks later...