Recordbox slowly destroying USB Drives?

Mitch

So I've been using the same usb drives with recordbox since i started using them (since september last year) - about 6 months, and they are beginning to get really slow loading songs, and sometimes lags when spinning the platter in vinyl mode. Not sure if this is just because they are starting to get full or because of the way recordbox writes and the way the cdjs read from them, wearing them out quickly.

Just want to see if anyone else is experiencing similar issues before i test on some more usbs and possibly just make those slow too.

Might just switch all my music back to cd's

yer i'm thinking it may be partially due to how full they are getting.

I bought two more 16gb drive. I'm going to put all my top40 crap on two, then real tracks on the other two. That will free up some space and should improve it a bit.

It is strange though coz I spoke to another dude at work who has 850s and he said his drives got really slow after a few months as well.

USB's also have different speeds, ive got black lexars i used to use, and these new red sandisks im using now...the lexars are slow as fuck, slow at loading songs on the CDJ, slow and draggin songs onto the USB from RB

so maybe try some new 1's, and also dont get them to close to capacity, if you have a 8gig loaded with 7.6 gig of music it may affect it

Yer I have red Sandisk ones atm.

Can't remember the brand of the new ones I bought, but I'm pretty sure they are all made in the same factory over in China or something lol.

I know flash drives are going to get slow over a period of time, but they usually last longer than 6 months which has got me curious.

Hopefully I get some more time to look into this over the weekend and let you know all know what I figure out

Yep, the exact same as those. 16gb model.

They were really quick when I first got them, but now they are real slow. Sometimes 5-10 seconds for the track to fully load up after selecting it.

Didn't get time to look into it today but will soon.

• 3 months later...

I've been using the SD Blade's and the Edge keys and haven't had any dramas I don't use them a lot I generally only use the Patriot USB keys for Recordbox, just due to the simple even thought they are one of the dearest keys around they are used by the US Army and even Australian Armed Forces as they are durable and trustworthly. The only keys I've ever had any problems with are Lexar S40s, S50s and the S60 & EMTEC.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently the SD's are quicker but only the cdj2000s have them so if a club has 850s or 900s youre fucked.

TBH i have the same sandisks and i think they are pretty shit quality, i noticed my old almost full decent sticks load quicker, it seems like it helps to get better keys.

Havnt really noticed any slowing and i use my usbs alot.