Rookie questions. (noob alert)

Hey everybody

Just a brief intro, IGNORE IF YOU DONT WANNA HEAR MY LIFE STORY!

- I'm 18, from melbourne, currently studying VCE and have a keen interest in music mixing.

At school, since year 7, so when I was 13, I have been learning basic mixing and sound engineering concepts. - not continously, i.e. till about year 9 I was full on involved, but then dropped down because I didn't wanna do a VET subject called music industry in order to learn everything about this stuff - e.g. crossovers, compressors, protools etc.

So I have a fair idea on the basics, like I've faced the 50 channel mixers, microphones of various different types, speakers and amps. - the basics.

Although I didn't decide to learn the complexities of the field, i.e. stuff like compressors, crossovers, EQ, I know how to set up a sound system and get the basics running.

Now, as a hobby, (perhaps casual DJ at clubs and stuff in the future) , I want to pursue DJ'ing..

I've read up on stuff, I get most of the basics about DJ'ing, but there are some more intricate details which I have no idea about.

Now time to ask questions!

1. Reading up on different DJing styles, i've come across 'digital dj'. What exactly does a digital dj do that differs from a dj using vinyl or CDJ decks? NOW i know that derrr, they use software, but what I mean to ask is, do they use decks at all ? or just a laptop with some software, and some 'midi controllers ? '

2. What the hell is midi, and a midi controller ? I watched a video of that Novation board, looks like a tablet with colourful buttons!

3. I really want to get my own gear, preferably vinyl, but due to the lack of vinyl records around, I think it'd be better to try something out like traktor or serato.

Can someone explain what these 2 softwares entail? From my understanding, its basically a software, and some hardware, which let you play songs through your computer, onto a vinyl turntable using special vinyl records?!

But do you need to actually use the software on the computer, or is it JUST something which plays songs from computer and sends them across to the turntable? thus, it avoids having a plethora of records lying around, since you just use that one vinyl record you get with the software.

4. if i decide to get CDJ decks, will I still be able to play songs from a laptop on the cdj?

5. If i wanna make my own tunes, or remixes, can i use ableton live ?

or is that specifically used for 'digital dj' .

Im from an indian background, and i'd like to make some bhangra beats, - if you look up someone called DJ Sanj, - 'agiya sawaad' or 'katal kare' or 'das ja', you can get an idea of what i'm talking about!

thanks..

1. Reading up on different DJing styles, i've come across 'digital dj'. What exactly does a digital dj do that differs from a dj using vinyl or CDJ decks? NOW i know that derrr, they use software, but what I mean to ask is, do they use decks at all ? or just a laptop with some software, and some 'midi controllers ? '

while "digital dj" is subjective, i think the current slang is anyone who requires a computer to DJ. i have many a friend who had at one time referred to djs who use toys (cdj's) as digital dj's, as the CD was in fact going to a digital age.

anyways, so either those that use controllers or just straight laptop and software or a digital vinyl system (see below) could be referred to as going digital. the latter of these, shortened to DVS, means they still use decks

2. What the hell is midi, and a midi controller ? I watched a video of that Novation board, looks like a tablet with colourful buttons!

im not as techy as mr wazza or tubby or source; but in lay terms MIDI is just a form of communication between devices. a midi controller will send signals to your computer, and the software will interpret these as commands. you could actually configure any software to be controlled by any MIDI devices. its just about the ease at which you do this

3. I really want to get my own gear, preferably vinyl, but due to the lack of vinyl records around, I think it'd be better to try something out like traktor or serato.

Can someone explain what these 2 softwares entail? From my understanding, its basically a software, and some hardware, which let you play songs through your computer, onto a vinyl turntable using special vinyl records?!

But do you need to actually use the software on the computer, or is it JUST something which plays songs from computer and sends them across to the turntable? thus, it avoids having a plethora of records lying around, since you just use that one vinyl record you get with the software.

otay, so first up note there is traktor and then there is traktor scratch. what you are referring to is traktor scratch.

tracktor scratch and serato are digital vinyl systems i.e. DVS. they are a software which will read timecode vinyl or cds. and yes this vinyl is "special". it basically has time clicks. the software will then play your digital music intime with the rotation of the vinyl (it does this by reading the clicks). so if you stop the vinyl, the track will stop. if you spin it back it will spin back etc.

both tsp and serato also have other features but i wont blow your brain

4. if i decide to get CDJ decks, will I still be able to play songs from a laptop on the cdj?

yes. again you can use timecode cd's just as above with tsp or serato. and there is another method HID. i dont know enuff about cdj's as only used twice but sure the others will help

5. If i wanna make my own tunes, or remixes, can i use ableton live ?

or is that specifically used for 'digital dj' .

i dont know enuff about ableton, but yeah you can definitely make music using ableton.

You might want to keep your intro separate so your thread doesn't derail

Intro section is here

hey,

haha, I thought it might be necessary to have a brief intro as to what I have experienced so far in this industry :)

Also, there's a list of terms in this thread

wonderful:) just had a quick squiz at midi in there.. haha, I guess i have no use for midi then cause it requires a keyboard!

The reason why I brought it up was, because apparently if you want to make your own 'techno' /trance / house music, you need midi devices.. - is this true?

Like I mentioned above, the type of tunes i wanna create are associated with the indian genre known as bhangra, may need to ask someone who actually makes them though !

anyone know of any indian djs here hahaah ?!

otay, so first up note there is traktor and then there is traktor scratch. what you are referring to is traktor scratch.

tracktor scratch and serato are digital vinyl systems i.e. DVS. they are a software which will read timecode vinyl or cds. and yes this vinyl is "special". it basically has time clicks. the software will then play your digital music intime with the rotation of the vinyl (it does this by reading the clicks). so if you stop the vinyl, the track will stop. if you spin it back it will spin back etc.

both tsp and serato also have other features but i wont blow your brain

Hey eggssell, really appreciate your informative response!

Just regarding traktor scratch and serato, it sounds like my thinking about it were correct.

So if i wanted to do a set for example at a school formal, and i had my vinyl turntables with serato/traktor scratch,

all i need is a laptop with the software loaded with the songs, connected to my mixer, my decks and the special vinyl record? I don't need to actually use the computer or anything, or get any stupid 'midi' device which had me confused out my wits!?

simple as that?!

and hahah, please, feel free to blow my brain. I'd probably learn something valuable about them, especially considering im thinking about getting either traktor or serato!

yes. again you can use timecode cd's just as above with tsp or serato. and there is another method HID. i dont know enuff about cdj's as only used twice but sure the others will help

i see, know of the software that does that? or is serato and traktor still available for cdjs as well ?

i dont know enuff about ableton, but yeah you can definitely make music using ableton.

sweet! ill find some tutes or something..

more feedback regarding the cdj question and the serato/traktor scratch would be appreciated!

How Does Traktor Work?

There are several versions of Traktor, the most popular being the Traktor Pro, which comes with an interface and two-tone records. Here's how it works: The audio files on a computer or external hard drive will be transposed onto the tone records. The tone records are calibrated so that when the pitch is adjusted on either turntable, the music that is being played will adjust accordingly. Note: Traktor does not come with turntables.

Why Use Traktor?

Instead of dragging crates of records from gig to gig, all that's is needed is a computer or a hard drive. Also, the visual aid is a benefit when a DJs are mixing or beat matching. Traktor also comes with some tools that make looping easy as well as some basic effects processing software like flanger, phaser, delay, etc.

Most DJs prefer to use Traktor with their turntables for the authentic analog feel and ability to manipulate just like regular vinyl. Note: If this is how it is going to be used, it is necessary to have a mixer and two turntables.

And everything you need to know: http://www.djworx.com/skratchworx/revie ... cratch.php

Hey eggssell, really appreciate your informative response!

Just regarding traktor scratch and serato, it sounds like my thinking about it were correct.

So if i wanted to do a set for example at a school formal, and i had my vinyl turntables with serato/traktor scratch,

all i need is a laptop with the software loaded with the songs, connected to my mixer, my decks and the special vinyl record? I don't need to actually use the computer or anything, or get any stupid 'midi' device which had me confused out my wits!?

simple as that?!

oops yeah you do need soemthing else a sound card.cupes link above wil give you info for traktor scratch, which basically needs one of their soundcards (audio 4, audio 6, audio 8 or audio 10) or a certified mixer which has a built in sound card.

and for serato you need a rane sl1, or rane sl3 soundcard, or one of the rane mixers with a built in soundcard

and yip traktor scratch and serato work on cdjs.

there are other dvs's: mixvibes, torq, reloop have one, and virtual dj also works as well i think. i believe some of these don't lock you into a proprietary soundcard, and you can use any sound card

yipeee!

haha

i get it.

traktor sounds awesome!

the reason i got so confused was because of the software, cause in the pics of it theres the frequency graphs and pretty much all the basic turntable controls on it, sort of like virtual dj.. so i didnt get what it actually was haha

thanks cupe, :)ill read that link you gave

@eggssell

I see, getting a sound card put in should be okay.. or i may get the mixer .

sweet, things look good.

ooo ok, i see.

thanks a lot :)

wonderful:) just had a quick squiz at midi in there.. haha, I guess i have no use for midi then cause it requires a keyboard!

The reason why I brought it up was, because apparently if you want to make your own 'techno' /trance / house music, you need midi devices.. - is this true?

Not all MIDI devices are keyboard based. you can get desktop synthesiser's that have no keys. You can program them to play using MIDI messages sent from your DAW (ableton, logic etc).

Also, early house music would have been made without using MIDI so you don't need it but it certainly comes in handy.

Not all MIDI devices are keyboard based. you can get desktop synthesiser's that have no keys. You can program them to play using MIDI messages sent from your DAW (ableton, logic etc).

Also, early house music would have been made without using MIDI so you don't need it but it certainly comes in handy.

i see.

do you know any good tutes on this? i.e. using midi controllers to create music?

i have an android tablet, and i found a DAW app called TouchDAW.

might try and work it if i can.. but need to learn how to even use ableton first!

btw. read that skratchworx article... it really did sum up my questions well! thanks for the link again!

haha, mm, will need to look at some tutes regarding this first..

any good ones you know ?

You only need one turntable......to control 2 deck in your DVS software

I love my vestax PDX 3000 mk2....the midi input on the vestax 3000 is the best thing ever...it opens up to a hole new world off scratching using tones/ notes..

Heres an old vid off me on my vestax pdx 3000 ....using the midi sampler / sequencer to control the

Vestax turntable ( by moog VSTi ) and the sampler in the software at the same time

I

haha, mm, will need to look at some tutes regarding this first..

any good ones you know ?

I love my vestax PDX 3000 mk2....the midi input on the vestax 3000 is the best thing ever...it opens up to a hole new world off scratching using tones/ notes..

Heres an old vid off me on my vestax pdx 3000 ....using the midi sampler / sequencer to control the

Vestax turntable ( by moog VSTi ) and the sampler in the software at the same time

but isnt 2 turntables the norm? for convenience sake ?!

and what if im scratching and wanting to play a normal track at the same time... ? ill need 2 wont i ?

and yeah, well, i cant do any of that stuff yet, because i don't know any of it,

being a beginner i think i can handle the serato/traktor with turntables, learning the basics, - scratching, beat juggling, mixing in general.

i reckon once i become proficient at that, ill move onto midi stuff.

MIDI is a communication protocol standard, so it can be used for lighting, music etc.

bhootnike I would recommend that you just Google all the questions you have, look up wikipedia, look through this forum and also the Traktor and Serato websites etc. People on this forum can give you quick answers but you really need to do the research yourself to get a deep knowledge.

There should be heaps of bhangra DJs around, just look on facebook and youre sure to find some.

I
haha' date=' mm, will need to look at some tutes regarding this first..

any good ones you know ?[/quote']

and what if im scratching and wanting to play a normal track at the same time... ? ill need 2 wont i ?

and yeah, well, i cant do any of that stuff yet, because i don't know any of it,

being a beginner i think i can handle the serato/traktor with turntables, learning the basics, - scratching, beat juggling, mixing in general.

2 turntables and a microphone..

haha yeah two turntables is the norm but as wazza pooints out due to the technology is not needed. i was down at the golden monkey in melbourne (live band and dj on thursday nights! check it people) and the dj there was using one 1200 and serato. what happens is once you have transitioned to the track you want you clone it onto the other deck and then specify the turntable as a new deck. then you load the next song (or some scratch samples) and then do the next transition. once done clone, and then repeat.

having said this though, the reason why i learnt to use traktor without using any features is because i play at mates houses where it is straight vinyl.

MIDI is a communication protocol standard, so it can be used for lighting, music etc.

bhootnike I would recommend that you just Google all the questions you have, look up wikipedia, look through this forum and also the Traktor and Serato websites etc. People on this forum can give you quick answers but you really need to do the research yourself to get a deep knowledge.

There should be heaps of bhangra DJs around, just look on facebook and youre sure to find some.

i see..! mm haha, blah, doesn't interest me at the moment then!

~ thanks man, well, I have, things like if the 'soundcard' was the hardware thing- AUDIO 10 , you get with traktor scratch pro a10 and stuff, thats not explicitly mentioned so had to ask that.

and haha well, since this is the beginners section, i thought i should ask some basic questions like what midi is, benefits of traktor and sl, and etc.

but i assure you, im researching a lot! spent all day yesterday!

and yeah there are, but in australia i dont think there are many.

ill find some groups or forums regarding it and see what they reckon!

thanks!

I
haha' date=' mm, will need to look at some tutes regarding this first..

any good ones you know ?[/quote']

2 turntables and a microphone..

haha yeah two turntables is the norm but as wazza pooints out due to the technology is not needed. i was down at the golden monkey in melbourne (live band and dj on thursday nights! check it people) and the dj there was using one 1200 and serato. what happens is once you have transitioned to the track you want you clone it onto the other deck and then specify the turntable as a new deck. then you load the next song (or some scratch samples) and then do the next transition. once done clone, and then repeat.

having said this though, the reason why i learnt to use traktor without using any features is because i play at mates houses where it is straight vinyl.

oo yeah, and a microphone! ..

speakers and a mixer ? :P

i see.., well, for the sake of some turntablism, getting 2 decks sounds preferable !

although that is a very smart idea!!

Alright

so hopefully getting a mixer on monday - (numark m4)

decided what tt's im getting - stanton t62s

monitors decided too,- reloop adm5s

had some final questions regarding software, i.e. Serato scratch live 2 VS Traktor scratch A6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. ive heard some mixed opinions on the stability of traktor on windows. im not sure if this is because people

who have windows and traktor have crappy computers, or if its actually just windows.

I have a custom built gaming computer, and its pretty slick on performance. so just just just to be sure, reckon this will suffice?

2. for you people out there who use either, i'd love your opinions.

pros and cons ?!

3. for traktor A6 people, i looked at some sample setups:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... s/?type=99

i know they're only examples, but there is still a setup in which you can connect the decks, mixer & 2xmonitors and a computer to the A6 right ?

4. SL2 is close to 600 bucks, whereas traktor a6 is 380.

..any idea what might be the difference in the two which leads to a 200 buck difference?!!

My i5 2500K (3.30Ghz but overclocked to 4.5) barely move the CPU metre off idle while in Traktor. I don't have scratch, and that may be different but I can't see it being much different.

edit: Might be worth throwing out here to look at the all in one ddj setups like the S4 or S2. Get a copy of Traktor Pro and all the hardware is sorted. Not as pro as turn tables, mixer, soundcard combo. But I know which option would be the easier one to get up an running and learning on.

You would set it up like this (this particular pic has a serato box but traktor box is the exact same)

connection-diagram.png

Serato is probably more expensive because you get free software updates for life. With traktor you have to pay for each major update (e.g. traktor 1 to traktor 2).

@ Above comment. Scratch (timecode) is alot more cpu intensive than MIDI. That being said any decent computer should handle it (providing you set it all up correctly)

1. ive heard some mixed opinions on the stability of traktor on windows. im not sure if this is because people

who have windows and traktor have crappy computers, or if its actually just windows.

I have a custom built gaming computer, and its pretty slick on performance. so just just just to be sure, reckon this will suffice?

i have a six-seven year old 2.33GHz Dual core, with i think 2GB ram and traktor runs perfectly. so if you got anything better you should be right

2. for you people out there who use either, i'd love your opinions.

pros and cons ?!

well ive already discussed this previously. i have used both and for my style they are exactly the same. if you can get to a store just check both interfaces. and then also consider what features you may use. and then also consider price (only reason why i ended up with tsp as opposed to scratch)

3. for traktor A6 people, i looked at some sample setups:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... s/?type=99

i know they're only examples, but there is still a setup in which you can connect the decks, mixer & 2xmonitors and a computer to the A6 right ?

mitch got you covered.