Organising my music

Sax

Hi All,

I am very new at DJ'ing. I wouldnt even say I am a DJ as yet...

I am starting by organising my music and then practicing my a55 off!!!

My gear came with rekordbox however i really didnt like the software as it isnt fats neough when analysing the BPM for the tracks. Maybe that is related to the slow PC i have lol.

My aim is to sort my music by Genre --> BPM.

So when i am djing and want to stress less about mixing a very slow song into a fast one...i can just go to the folder with the closest BPM.

I hope that made sense? I am sure some of you may have better ways... So please do share your expertise as I need urgent help.

Other question is what software (FREEWARE) can i find/get that can quickly give me BPM etc so i can just drag and drop my music into their appropriate folders?

Thanks in advance!

DJS

I organise my music by genre -> month

so in my electro playlist folder i have 2012-08, 2012-07 etc.

most genres have a similar bpm range (e.g. electro is around 126-132) so that works for me.

I use mixed in key to give me the BPM, it also gives me the key the song is written in. However it costs around $50

I have my music sorted genre > Key

i find there isnt much point in organising music by BPM as most genres have fairly similar BPMs (well electro does, and thats what i mostly mix)

but yea organsing by genre is definitely the place to start, the sub organization method is completely up to you. When i first started i organised it by artists or songs, just play around with different ways and you will work out what suits you best

Once run through Mixed in Key and Platinum Notes all my music is bundled into the one folder. Then in Traktor I can sort however I want depending on what I am looking for at the time. Usually by "Comment" which will arrange songs by key. that way I can easily see songs of an appropriate key and their BPM to cut down my options.

i organise my music by chucking it into itunes....

im extremely fucking unorganised hahah

I'm the same way :P

Although with my vinyl I have a bookcase for that which is dnb on the top shelf, dubstep 2nd shelf down, breaks 3rd shelf down and hip hop on the bottom shelf