Hey from Brisbane!

Jaytee

My names Jason but I'm also known as Jaytee. I'm from Brisbane and I'm currently studying 1st year at the University of Queensland.

Although I'm still 17 (turning 18 in December) I have grown a great interest in DJing although my parents, especially my dad heavily discourages it.

I do not own any gear, but I do some mixing on my computer using 'Virtual DJ' as a hobby and have been doing it for about half a year now.

I've seen heaps of videos on how to mix and scratch and set up the equipment so I do have a basic understanding of the equipment and how to use them as well the beat matching etc.

I'm currently looking for any DJ's in Brisbane to help mentor me and just teach me some techniques as well.

I really wanted to get a pair of CDJ-400s and a DJM-400 mixer for about $2100 and start learning as early as possible, but I'm low on cash atm and my parents won't loan me because of the DJ stereotypes.

But anyway I'm hoping to get the uni student job at the Brisbane city council for urban planning and get around $712 - $750 per week next year! I should afford equipment easily then.

I have made some mixes and I admit they are extremely bad but to those that don't know how to DJ they are pretty good.

I have only been to a niteclub once, which is the birdy num num's once using my friends ID haha.

My dad heavily discourages me learning how to DJ, he says if I loan out my own money and buy the equipment he would personally smash them up. :(

But it's something I'm quite passionate about as I love music, all genres including classical to hardstyle to hip hop.

tell your dad to fuck off.

but seriously, show him how serious DJ'ing and music production really is. he may just not understand it.

and just move into your own place and get some gear, make a million bucks and show off your bling when he visits.

ps. welcome to ADJF

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

aww man that sucks that your parents are like that im sure if they actually met some djs they would find that the real ones dont go by the stereotypes anyways my dad aint to bad im 19 he doesnt mind the tech house and stuff while he drinks beer and trades but yeh he fucking nearly trys to smash my shit to when i start playing dubstep/drum and bass