Virtual DJ? Yay or Nay?

Tyecogan719

Hey everyone,

so have been thinking of getting into djing as a hobby, something I can do in my spare time to keep me entertained!

So I have been talking to a few about kits and what not, but I would prefer not to buy anything yet as I don't even know what i'm doing.

A few people have told me about virtual DJ and that it is a good place to start and was just wondering if anyone knew any good devices or software that I could use which is cheap but will guide me in the right direction?

All info will be extremely helpful!

Thanks all!

:hail:

well, Virtual DJ is going to $285 AUD at the moment. Its ok in my opinion.

Personally I prefer Native Instruments Traktor 2.5 witch goes for $85 AUD.

but, i would say, download the demo's of both. play around and see what you like :thumleft:

if its pure hobby, there is a big diff between $285 and $85. (the NI option also gives you some left over coin to buy something like an entry level MIDI controller if you really start to enjoy it)

Also keep in mind when you get a controller you will get one of these software packages bundled with it.

Another thing to note is that virtual dj home is free but you can only use it with keyboard and mouse. Which being free is fine to have a play around with for a bit

Thanks guys the replies are much appreciated I think I might give NI a go and see how that goes, got quite a lot of time so we will see how it goes! I studied music in high school (the only subject i went well in) but still dont understand the kits that Dj's use, do you know any good websites or videos to watch? Just to get an idea of what everything means?

If you have a bit of musical knowlege, Traktor is the best value option at the moment.

Without musical knowledge, VDJ has a slight advantage as it visually illustrates 'bars' (a small segment of the repeating beats in a tune) really well. Its important to time your mixes (blending one track with another) so that the bars of the both tracks land on the same beat. Plenty of stuff on the web about this and its relatively easy to learn by just listening to the music without the need for software.

I,m going to buy Vdj very soon..

for me and my setup,vdj 8 looks dope...

when it come out it will have a new time code engine made by the guy who made dj-deaks..any one remember the old DVS software dj-deaks

it was a very stable open DVS that sounded very good & had a nice scratch feel with serato time code vinyl ....will work nice with my new Denon x 600 midi/audio mixer & my Numark ns7

the video sampler will be dope to...be able chop a video sample with audio with in the software and be able to play & sequence the sample with my roland mv 8000 hardware sampler

numark mixmaster pro audio/video time-line editting will be nice & easy for mixtapes too

be out 2Q next year 2013...vdj might in the end turn into a good software..

I'm running video serato on my ns7 using my Imac....this is for vinyl scratching videos using one turntable & the x600 mixer on a i5 hp laptop

& videos/audio sampling using my mv 8000 ...most off the mixing will still be on itch & when serato dj comes out I can use/midi map my pcr 500

Both videos plug'ed into vestax pbs-4 + 2 sony dvd SD video cameras

• 3 weeks later...
I'm running video serato on my ns7 using my Imac....this is for vinyl scratching videos using one turntable & the x600 mixer on a i5 hp laptop

& videos/audio sampling using my mv 8000 ...most off the mixing will still be on itch & when serato dj comes out I can use/midi map my pcr 500

Both videos plug'ed into vestax pbs-4 + 2 sony dvd SD video cameras

scratch that....no need for me to get VDJ now...the nice people over at mixvibes just gave me MIXVIBES CROSS DVS + video plug-in for Cross for free .....

I have tested mixvibes cross on my IMAC with time code vinyl (just one turntable ) using my serato sl2 box & denon x600 midi mixer and diccer ...

every thing works good & very easy to set up..the sampler is dope..the media management system is dope ..I love how you can use mixvibes/pioneer Rekordbox play-lists ..

the video mixing is very good ,the video out put window looks better than serato video ..everything was easy to midi map on the denon, like the cross faders & line faders , knobs and buttons in cross & works good with the diccer to

and the video & audio EFX work well together

vinyl control could be better ...but I think that has more to do with setting up the core-audio driver right in mac & getting some new needles...& also because I'm using serato sl hardware & I need to get a audio interface..

I can't wait to use the cross Ipad wifi control app ...mixvibes cross can use 8 wifi mobile devices & 8 midi controllers at the same time + time code vinyl

So big thank you mixvibes

talking about FREE shit from MixVibes... CROSS DJ for your Iphono & Ipod ..NEW & FREE..

http://forum.mixvibes.com/viewtopic.php?f=259&t=26297

Have you tried serato scratch live if you have an sl2?

yes ...the sl2 & serato scratch live + serato video works good on the denon x 600

I have been using scratch live for a long time...I'v also got a serato/rane ttm 57 mixer..

the idear is to have all 3 off the top dvs set-ups for when we start the G.C dj school..serato scratch live , traktor scratch pro and mixvibes cross dvs

the d.j school is coming along to..we have some dope dj setups in the school...

next stop traktor scratch a6...then I can us the NI audio 6 audio interface with mixvibes as well as traktor scratch ...