Please help a noob out

djpaulydee18

Hey guys, i've been reading over a few threads here trying to gain some beginners knowledge. Understanding a little bit.. I was at first thinking of getting the Pioneer DDJ WEGO and connecting it to my laptop, get some speakers and i'd be on my way. Would that be ideal for just beginner DJ'ing at parties? Or am I better off getting CD players of what? Someone please help me in the right direction!

Was looking at getting a pair of these speakers, any decent?

http://www.pssl.com/American-Audio-PXI- ... d-Speaker-

If someone can recommend a decent setup that would be great, on a budget of around $800 here for speakers + mixer/cd player whatever.

Thanks for your time guys!

The speakers are from an American supplier so youll probably have to get new IEC leads or just cut the end of the lead off and replace it with a new 3 pin plug. Everything i've been told about Djing is "you get what you pay for".

If you want to get a controller then you will need a decent laptop to run Traktor, personally I use CDJ's (slowly getting into vinyl).

I'm only relatively new to djing aswell, however i've spent around $5000 just on gear alone. As an electrician i've managed to get my PA extremely cheap (Turbosound and AMPRO gear). Really it's upto you if you really want to invest into djing gear although if I was you I would probably save up some more coin and do it properly.

Controllers are still considered the new kid on the block as far as DJ eqpt goes. But for beginners they really are a cost effective entry point, plus for people who already collect music digitally they utilise your existing media library so dont involve heaps of burning CDs, printing tracklists, or vinyl collecting.

I teach DJ skills in the UK and generally point students at controllers these days. If you wanted to DJ in clubs you would want to know your way round the pioneer CDJ players, if you want to be a true turntablist you would have to chose vinyl. But these days with software and controllers being so reliable I personally think they are a good entry point for everyone who doesnt have any other deciding factor.

The wego is a steady controller for the money. Traktor S2 and Pioneer Ergo are only a few dollars more.

Essential tip: as mentioned by someone already be sure your computer can handle the software. Also be prepared: you may have to lrn how 2 optimise your computer for audio by disabling internet and other background tasks.

Useful tip: When you buy a controller you get a light version of DJ software. Researching which software you get is as important as researching which controller you buy. Paying to upgrade the software can open up more DJ opportunities than paying for a more expensive controller, especially if you are happy to get involved mapping your controller functions personally.

For your budget - I would advise getting a controller and not spending the whole budget. Get some small speakers for practicing at home, Then hire PA speakers for when you need them at gigs.

This way you don't have too much outlay, and if you want to move into clubs you can upgrade to cdjs down the track. If you want to head in the mobile route you can buy your own PA speakers if you wish