NS6 - A SOL DIOS REVIEW

SolDios

So after almost a year of ownership and a lot of gigs with the device, I feel now I can write a proper review on it.

Design, Shell & Feel:

The design of the ns6 is really solid for a Numark device, with 80% of the body being metal (20% being the jog wheels, buttons and knobs). Everything from the EQ section knobs to the play and cue buttons is just spaced out enough to give you room to move whilst mixing. The jog wheels are super accurate, and feel much like a smaller version of the 900’s jog wheels (Tension and pitch bend wise). The pitch faders are also long like Cdj’s, so people who like to beat match (Like myself) will feel right at home. My only complaint really is the material of the top of the jog wheel, as it scratches quite easily. This kind of goes against the sturdy feel the rest of the controller gives off, really just a pet peeve than an actual issue though. Dedicated filters would be nice, but there not 100% necessary I guess.

Software:

The software really makes this controller; I have been running itch 2.0.3 on lion 10.7.5 and have NEVER had an issue with dropouts/crashes/ect, EVER.

Everything works exactly as it should, the iTunes integration with playlists works spot on exactly as it should.

I may also add that I have also been able to download songs off my tethered Wi-Fi, then drag and drop the songs onto the decks with no issues or dropouts what so ever.

The only thing I can see wrong with it is the beat detection (putting markers on each beat) is never spot on, however the auto BPM readout is always perfect. This means you WILL need to know how to beat match on this controller, (Which you probably should know how to do anyway), as sync will not work.

Mixing:

Mixing on the ns6 is pretty much flawless, not much to say as everything functions exactly as it should, however there is one issue that is a deal breaker.

Although there is two LED indicators showing the volume level, this is for the overall volume and NOT each channel. In fact, there is no individual level indicator for each channels volume anywhere! Not even in the software.

This means unless you have super precise ears and can easily tell the difference through your headphones, one track will almost always be a little/moderately louder than the other.

I have not delt with Serato dj yet, as I feel it needs some work before it is ready to be used professionally. So I am totally unaware if this fixes the issue.

TLDR;

Sturdy, robust, well spaced, great software, let down by no dedicated filters and NO INDIVIDUAL LINE LEVELS.

6/10 stars

nic review sol.

in regards to beat markers (not having ever used itch and not ever bothering with them in tsp) i am pretty sure with any software you are meant to beat grid your own music. i remember seeing all the tutorials on djtt, sounded like a pain in the butt personally, but yeh i dont think any software claims to be able to beat mark music. they just lay estimates and then you are meant to do it yourself.

• 9 months later...