SCRATCHING: Cross Fader vs Channel Fader

krsjuan

hey. though i am still wett behind the years, but have watched crap loads of vids, plus have also been clubbing for years and seen/ heard heps....

a few factors.

the ability to have channel faders that cut.

if your faders can cut, then its the same as using the cross fader for scratches that need a cut.

also the scratch sound you want. ive seen people use the line faders on a long curve to have an echo effect (i.e. loud, medium, soft...). and a lot of transformer scratches are done on line faders.

my channel faders are set to " fast" which means they cut out when i hit the bottom, so yeah they work pretty much the same as the cross fader.

I find that when I use the crossfader, I do everything backwards. I cut it out when I want it in.... But if it's something that i gotta learn, I better just stick at it.

Just wondering if this is something that most beginners find??? I just automatically found it alot easier than using the crossfader...

cheers

ANOTHER QUESTION:

This probably sounds like a noob question, but I have watched heaps of scratching videos and noticed this.

Some DJs will slide the cross fader towards the turntable they want to cut out while some slide it towards the other turntable to cut out the sound.

Is there any difference? Is one way better than the other or is it just personal preference?

cheers

dude you can have it either way, they do this for crab scratching. Just aside either turntable to the opposite side that you normally would. and yeah, just keep trying mate, it'll be worth it.

And no you cant use a channel fader the same way as a crossfader, the curves just arent steep enough.

hey chris. you can use the channel fader like the cross fader assuming you channel fader has curve settings. this is found on al scrath mixers and some dj mixers. the settings are usually long fade, nothing to half way then fade, and cut in straight away.

i have the reloop iq2 which is listed as a dj mixer on dj warehouse which has curve settings for the channel fader, and a knob to do some additional fine tuning form long to cut.

kyle, the reversing of the cross fader is called hamster style. some people swear that it is faster on certain cuts, and preferred by a lot of turntablists. my mixer doesnt have that option (one of the few bad points of it)

EDIT: oh yeah, and a lot of mixers (and all scratch mixers) allow reversing of the cross fader to do hamster style, so you dont have to do a rewire.

cheers for that eggssell.

My mixer has the reversal option, which reverses both the channel faders and the cross fader. I've found it near impossible scratching without it so I guess I'll stick to "hamster style" :)

Is hamster style popular? or do most just stick with the normal way?

cross fader and channel fader are 2 different techniques in my eyes, you can get totally different sounds out of each one.

with the cross faders the in the normal was to scratch then there is the Hamster way which is pretty much the same as riding a skateboard goofy or standard, sometimes a lefthanded thing but not always