unmasking wifi passwords

eggssell

Connect to it via ethernet, next open command prompt and type "ipconfig /all"

This should give you a long list of stuff, scroll up and find "Ethernet adapter" then look for a name with DHCP on the end, should have a set of numbers at the end like: 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 etc.

Next type that set of digits into Internet explorer or firefox. A prompt should come up asking for a username or password.

Try:

User: Admin

Pass: Admin

Or

Password: Password

Next you should be in the router config page, navigate to the wireless section and there should be a field to put in a new password. Chuck that in and apply it, the router may need to restart. You will now need to re-put the password into all devices it was previously hooked up to as well.

Connect to it via ethernet, next open command prompt and type "ipconfig /all"

This should give you a long list of stuff, scroll up and find "Ethernet adapter" then look for a name with DHCP on the end, should have a set of numbers at the end like: 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 etc.

Next type that set of digits into Internet explorer or firefox. A prompt should come up asking for a username or password.

Try:

Pass: Admin

Or

Password: Password

Next you should be in the router config page, navigate to the wireless section and there should be a field to put in a new password. Chuck that in and apply it, the router may need to restart. You will now need to re-put the password into all devices it was previously hooked up to as well.

sorry I did not state everything from whinge here. but getting into the router was an issue but not the main issue (nor related to this fred). and no your suggestion wont work as I changed the password about five years ago, I just never needed to access for the last three and a half. so yeah a refresh to factory settings is my only hope of getting back into the router. but I wont do that until I absolutely need to :fuckdat:

The alternate method is to right click on your wifi icon and go network settings, then click view existing networks.

Next right click on your home wifi network and go to options, one one of the top tabs it should show the pasword in *****'s

Click show password.

cool yeh it comes up masked. I didn't see a show password button so do I just click in the field and it will give me an option to show password? anyways will play around tonight (albeit I now remember my password... well I remembered it yesterday)

Few links to help you out man, from what it says "Show Characters" is the checkbox you're looking for. Another trick is to disconnect from the network then connect again, when it prompts for your password it should be filled in and the same checkbox should appear.

http://www.howtogeek.com/116934/how-to- ... n-windows/

http://lallousx86.wordpress.com/2011/12 ... passwords/

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Your-WiFi-P ... -Forgot-It

cool thanks. was wondering why I have never noticed that button before, but from one of the articles its because it wasn't available on XP. and ive only farked around with it on my XP machine.

I notice the show password button is on the MacBook, so I guess I never have to remember it. hehehe

now plus a million thumbs if someone can get me into my router without having to reset to factory settings!

Potential for this ^^

Only other way to crack the admin password on a router you either need to use a dictionary attack or brute force.

Either will take forever and too complex to explain here.

Most the time it's easier / quicker to reset the router to factory and reconfigure with the same settings that are in it now.

its a draytek vigor 2310

but yeh all good. as above if i get desperate ill reset but for now fak dat

Never thought I'd ever hear of a domestic place using Draytek! Top notch man.

After you do that, to ensure you're not going to have to do anything if you forget it again, back up the config to an external drive. That way you can just restore it's configuration :)

Might be a good opportunity to go update firmware etc on it too.

probably gave a IP address or ports priority.

anyway, if you need help with shit theres ADJF :likeasir: and google :faku:

most things with a GUI are easy to configure.

well it must be simple enuff for my dumb ass to have figured it out before.

im just a lazy ass.

but yeh its all good in the hood. new lappy hooked up. all the pr0n things are fine.

• 1 year later...