Looking for a good synth VST under $100

Narukami

Hey all!

After using 3xosc for about a year and a half now and I'm finally ready to move on to using a better synth. The reason for this is because as nice and simple as 3xosc is, it has a ton of high and resonating frequencies that absolutely ruin the mix. I recently finished a bootlegging a song and after mastering the track, these problems really showed up and I had to re-mix the track multiple times until it got to an acceptable level but it's still pretty bad. I've been looking around but I want some opinions on some good synths to use :-)

Some of the stuff I'm looking for are:

1) Simplicity:

Main reason why I liked 3xosc so much, it was so easy to use. Nothing extra to distract me and got me straight into music production mode. Of course it shouldn't be too simple which leads me to my next point.

2) Absolute tweakability:

I design all my sounds from the ground up. This is where 3xosc falls down. If I need an effect on the sound such as a chorus or a phaser, I'm forced to put the track on the channel mixer and use something like Fruity Chorus or Fruity Phaser. Now, Fruity Phaser is the bomb but Fruity Chorus sucks and it's hard to make synths sound more chorus-ey and warm with overdoing it or under doing it. Flangus and Fruity Flanger sucks too! Of course some of you would say I should get third party VSTs but I'd rather just buy a synth with everything I need. Designing stuff like wobbles is also a pain.

3) Great sound:

This is probably the most important part for me and the reason I want to upgrade. As stated above, I need to EQ the poop out of 3xosc just to make it sound nice and doing all that gets me out of the groove of making music. I need something that doesn't have frequencies everywhere. Plus, at higher frequencies or when you're increasing the pitch 3xsoc aliases so bad. Just give me something that's more "stable", if you get what I'm saying.

I've been looking around and it looks like everyone's digging Z3TA+ 2.1 but that costs $100 straight up and just because I say "under $100" doesn't mean I'm ready to buy something that much. I wanna look around first before making a final descision.

Also, I make Electro House stuff so I need something that can make big sounds.

Thanks all :)

Massive, Sylenth and all that are the most expensive but probably the best ones out there. They're like $200+ though :-( I know $100 isn't enough but a guy can dream right :3 Plus (not to toot my own horn) I'm pretty confident with my synthesis, I just want a vst that has everything inside (cutoff, effects, etc) to make my workflow easier

Sonic Academy - ANA

I think that's under $100 and it's pretty good. A fair few people are starting to jump on board

Jest checked out the website and it's actually around $75 aud. it actually looks pretty dope, might check it out.

Right now I'm just demoing some VSTs that are suggested to me or I found online. Any suggestions at all will be helpful

Thanks guys :)

Sonic Academy - ANA

I think that's under $100 and it's pretty good. A fair few people are starting to jump on board

Jest checked out the website and it's actually around $75 aud. it actually looks pretty dope, might check it out.

Right now I'm just demoing some VSTs that are suggested to me or I found online. Any suggestions at all will be helpful

Thanks guys :)

there are a ton of free ones out there which are real decent. these 2 are probably the better ones out there

http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products/tal-noisemaker

TAL Noise Maker is something i think everyone has. it's possibly the best free plugin out there, STILL!

if you wanna buy one, ANA is your best bet. that thing is your best bang for your buck

http://www.u-he.com/cms/zebralette

Zebralette by u-He is a goodie

Hit the blue thumbs up if someone's helped

:D

Right, definitely will :)

there are a ton of free ones out there which are real decent. these 2 are probably the better ones out there

http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products/tal-noisemaker

TAL Noise Maker is something i think everyone has. it's possibly the best free plugin out there, STILL!

if you wanna buy one, ANA is your best bet. that thing is your best bang for your buck

http://www.u-he.com/cms/zebralette

Zebralette by u-He is a goodie

I've seen TAL and the Zebralette floating around, definitely gonna check those out since I've seen good comments about them. Cheers :)

Haha, definitely man. Especially since it's free. I literally have nothing to lose.

I'm just waiting for my computer to finish rendering this video (it's almost been 24 hrs, gosh darn) until i finally get them and try it out.

Seriously though, cheers for the suggestions, really appreciate it :D

Well, here's an example of what I've been making and the type of sounds required in the future. (First complextro track made. Earlier tunes weren't complex at all and focused more on melodic leads and chords but I want to start making those tracks more complextro orientated so I need that big sound):

http://soundcloud.com/misterchowmusic/misterchow-the-sass-monster

All sounds were made with 3xosc and FL's stock plugins (Fruity Compressor, Parametic EQ, etc). Well, for the wobbles and some basses I add in a (free) 3rd party bitcrusher but everything else is made with the stuff that comes with FL.

I'm just a broke musician haha :P (which is why I want a synth with an all in one effect panel)

That's pretty funky dude.

Free plugins shouldn't be overshadowed by plugs with a big price tag. The factory plugs will work a treat, and there are some awesome free stuff out there. These sounds (from my experience) involve a lot of layering and resampling (depending on what you're trying to achieve). If you're on a budget I'd get TAL and Zebralette and compliment them with factory and / or 3rd party processing tools for your effects and all that. TAL have an entire catalog of free stuff, and you can also look into BetaBugs. They also offer a wide range of free stuff.

Not sure if I've gone off the mark here but I thought I'd give you another option, so it gives you time to save some coin or whatnot. Sorry if I've just straight out confused you lol

Cheers man :)

Yeah, you're absolutely spot on. That's why I'm asking and researching so much, people recommend some super cool options and some are free. Either spend cash on something or use what you have to the best of your ability.

Cheers for your opinion man, I'm probably gonna end up using the freeware stuff you recommended to me until I can buy more powerful stuff like Sylenth or Massive. :)

• 2 weeks later...