Your favourite place to buy vinyl.

SolDios

My favorite record shops in Melbourne would be (in no particular order):

Northside Records, Fitzroy

Round & Round, Brunswick

Licorice Pie, Prahran

The Searchers, Fitzroy

yeh northside was where i got a stack load of 45's. they had like a discount area and i went nuts

and yeh searchers has been good for good value hip hop. thats where i picked up all those jazzy jeff and fresh prince albums

Ever been to bounce audio in Prahran?

Surely have, my slipmats biz has taken me to pretty much any place in Melbourne that sells vinyl (I've supplied many of them with custom mats or they are selling mats from my design range). Johan is a top guy (actually met him first when he was working at DMC) and Bounce is a quality shop, no doubt … it's just not exactly my genre of music :--F

Chris at Northside is the dude, it's always entertaining to drop in. The Searchers has become a quality record store since it has changed hands about a year ago, a bit pricey but stacks of top wax.

I'm intrigued eggssell, 'cos normally the production of the stamper alone costs a little fortune. I'd be keen to know what the production process is. Do you have a link or something?

Cheers for the link … yeah, I've heard of that place, didn't know that he was cutting in vinyl, didn't even know it was possible. I always thought you could only cut acetate.

Anyway, those records are not pressed, they are cut. Would be interesting to know if it's the same vinyl material as the vinyl used for pressed records and how they compare in terms of sound quality and durability. I know a few people who've cut dubplates and have released on vinyl … I have a few questions for them next time we sit down for a beer or a reefer :hic:

• 1 year later...

Discogs. I mean as far as soul, funk and psych goes, whats better? It's the only online store that has all the rare and weird shit that I want. 

Round and round in Brunswick is a rip off. 

Northside in Fitzroy is a joke for soul and funk in my opinion. Just a lot of well know comps such as (the great) Marva Whitney and the like, with bugger all 45's. 

9 hours ago, Sevrin said:

Discogs. I mean as far as soul, funk and psych goes, whats better? It's the only online store that has all the rare and weird shit that I want. 

Northside in Fitzroy is a joke for soul and funk in my opinion. Just a lot of well know comps such as (the great) Marva Whitney and the like, with bugger all 45's. 

The good stuff is hard to find. I picked up some decent disco & funk at a record fair in Kew the other week. Just need to keep an eye out on Facebook as to when they're on

18 hours ago, Sevrin said:

not sure what northside is like for funk, what i remember is their awesome selection of jamaican 45s. and it was cheap as too. spent a few hours there and walked out with a good haul.

the other one down the road i liked was the searchers (i think thats what its called). scored a lot of 80's hip hop. wouldnt know their funk section.

most of my good shit though is in record fairs. not from the stores, but people selling off collections. and then japan and chicago. 

1 hour ago, eggssell said:

not sure what northside is like for funk, what i remember is their awesome selection of jamaican 45s. and it was cheap as too. spent a few hours there and walked out with a good haul.

the other one down the road i liked was the searchers (i think thats what its called). scored a lot of 80's hip hop. wouldnt know their funk section.

most of my good shit though is in record fairs. not from the stores, but people selling off collections. and then japan and chicago. 

yeah, there are some good Jamaican 45's at Northside. But they plug themselves as the 'go to' store for funk which is rubbish. Searchers is great. I've never been to a record fair, but damn keen for the next one! And yes, Japan has cheap import costs. 

But for Funk, Reggae, and associated styles what about Plug 7 records?? Located: 313A Smith st, Fitzroy. These guys are the shit in my opinion. They never come up in any 'best vinyl stores' searches, and I had to find 'em on google maps, 'cause they're badly advertised. But they have a huge range of funk and reggae and well priced. I aint no rep for that store haha, I'm just really impressed with their stock. Piles and piles and piles of 45's. Like I've died and gone to heaven ;)

1 hour ago, Sevrin said:

yeah, there are some good Jamaican 45's at Northside. But they plug themselves as the 'go to' store for funk which is rubbish. Searchers is great. I've never been to a record fair, but damn keen for the next one! And yes, Japan has cheap import costs. 

But for Funk, Reggae, and associated styles what about Plug 7 records?? Located: 313A Smith st, Fitzroy. These guys are the shit in my opinion. They never come up in any 'best vinyl stores' searches, and I had to find 'em on google maps, 'cause they're badly advertised. But they have a huge range of funk and reggae and well priced. I aint no rep for that store haha, I'm just really impressed with their stock. Piles and piles and piles of 45's. Like I've died and gone to heaven ;)

Plug 7 were at the last fair I went to, had a good selection