Subwoofer upgrade/repair advice

SolDios

Hey guys.

So my New Yamaha's are insanely good. But unfortunately they severally out class my sub.

There have been alot of situations where I have needed to crank up the yamaha's to fit the larger rooms, but the sub peaks at about 1/4th of the volume the yamaha's are doing. Both the sub and the speakers are 300w rms.

I generally keep my gain at about 50% on the speakers, and 25% on the sub.

What I want to do is sell my old sub and upgrade to this:

Cerwin-Vega CVA-121X 21" 1200w RMS

M_CVA-121X.jpg

and sell my old sub.

However doing this i'd want to sell my old sub. Which has gained a few of scratch, scuff's and bits of paint scraped off. It's in good condition with the driver and amp etc. It's just had a bit of wear and tear on the body itself. (I want to try get 500 for it, they go for 1k-1.2k new)

Now what would be the best way to clean up these scuff marks etc? As I want to get it looking good so I can sell it.

I'm not sure about the scuff marks, but I think using a black P-Tex candle like they use to repair snowboard bases would fix the scraped plastic.

To summarise my questions:

1. Would you recommend that sub for my setup.

2. Any suggested repair methods for my old one?

How bad are the scratches. Can you post pics?

As for your new sub, make sure it's suitable to run with your yammies. Don't just buy bigger because you need to. Before you buy, get the sub with the right wattage or ampage (whichever) for your speakers, otherwise you'll end up blowing your speakers if you got too much power in the sub

Well there's probably not a lot you can do about most of that stuff tbh. You can try a putty to bog it up but I don't think it's worth it IMO. I've never tried the shoe polish but if you're using it near the grate then try not to get it on the cone.

Most of the scratches look ok. As long as the sub works fine you'll be alright selling it

I would have fought a 21 inch sub would be a pain to move around also the replacement drivers would be hell expensive.

I am sure that is the main reason 15 and 18 inch subs are so common are you going passive or active because there lots of great plans out there for diy sub box's.

As to current sub you have I would not worry about the small scuffs more the damage you show on the edge of the unit I would be trying to repair that.

Ok I see you want a active sub if it was me I would be looking at possibly two smaller subs for better coverage in a any given venue.

A 21 inch active sub will weight a ton too and I am guessing your the roadie and dj as well I would rather lug tow smaller subs up stairs etc rather than one massive one.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Alright Tax time is coming up and I'm getting a frankly insane amount back.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to these choices:

One of these

RCF-SUB718AS_1.jpg

1400 Watt Peak, 700 Watt RMS digital amplification

132 dB max spl

18" High power woofer, 4" voice coil

Xover selector, phase switch and high pass outputs

Electronic equalisation, soft limiter and protection

Stereo Xlr/Jack combo input, Stereo Xlr signal output

Two of these:

JBL-PRX718XLF_1.jpg

Power Rating 1500 W

AC Power Input 100V - 240V~ 50/60 Hz

Frequency Range (-10 dB) 30 Hz - 103 Hz

Frequency Response (±3 dB) 35 Hz – 87 Hz

Internal Crossover Frequency 100 Hz DSP controlled 48 dB filter slope

Loop out Crossover Frequency 120 Hz analog 24 dB filter slope

Maximum SPL 134 dB peak

Two of these:

QSC-KW181_1.jpg

Configuration: 18" subwoofer

Transducer: 18" cone transducer

Frequency Response (-6 dB): 38 Hz - 124 Hz

Frequency Range (-10 dB): 34 Hz - 143 Hz

Maximum SPL1: 135 dB peak

Amplifier

Power Output2: 1000 W Class D continuous, 2000 W peak

The RCF kicks ass, I've heard em and they go hard as balls.

The JBL's can do some huge area's, done a gig with two of em before and they were able to actually do a HUGE triple court indoor basketball arena. (Bit of echo on the sides but it's to be expected for an area that size.

The QCQ's i've heard some really good things about and are light with wheels on the back. Also have another 300w under the hood.

Found a place in Adelaide that have all 3 in stock so I'm gona go compare them

I think you need to find something that's going to cater for everything you need. It's all good buying a sub that has enough power to blow up an indoor sports centre but it's going to absolutely demolish the houses and halls you're playing in. Find something that's going to provide enough low end for all your work

I think you need to find something that's going to cater for everything you need. It's all good buying a sub that has enough power to blow up an indoor sports centre but it's going to absolutely demolish the houses and halls you're playing in. Find something that's going to provide enough low end for all your work

This. Maybe 2 smaller ones would be better as you can use 1 in cases where 2 would be overpowering.

Also easier to carry

Also what is better, a regular or folded horn sub?

Horns rule. The reason they rule is that they are efficient; a pair of horns on 300 Watts will be louder than a pair of reflexes on 1200 Watts (and also have more extension, how much more depends on the horn design you get). If you can get hold of a pair of folded horns you will stand out from the rest in a big way, and only need half the amplifiers to do so!

This. Maybe 2 smaller ones would be better as you can use 1 in cases where 2 would be overpowering.

Also easier to carry

The thing is though I need at least an 18 minimum for all the gigs I do, and do a gig in usually a double basketball court sized area once every 2 months or so.

Might be worth just doing one though and hiring a second. I can always slug em for it.

Those QSC's look the pick over the JBL's just on frequency reponse/range alone. Make sure you take some high quality low frequency music to check out the subs when you go to compare.

And yeah! I'm gona go with some wav's and bring one of my yamaha's to see how they sound in conjunction.

I think warranty will be a big thing in my decision too. My yamaha's came with a 5 year one so I know there gona be decent.

The thing is though I need at least an 18 minimum for all the gigs I do, and do a gig in usually a double basketball court sized area once every 2 months or so.

Those QSC's look the pick over the JBL's just on frequency reponse/range alone. Make sure you take some high quality low frequency music to check out the subs when you go to compare.

And yeah! I'm gona go with some wav's and bring one of my yamaha's to see how they sound in conjunction.

Why do you need a 18" minimum?

If you need some crazy low end on wav's hit me up and I'll send a few tracks over. Can't hurt to get the sound test wav's too which just pump those tones at right frequencies.

I've tried using a single 15 and there isn't enough punch for the area's I standardly do. Plus I have the room in the trailer and it's not much extra $$$ to go from 15' to 18. I always try to go with a sub one size bigger than my pa's so it can clearly be heard.

I've tried using a single 15 and there isn't enough punch for the area's I standardly do. Plus I have the room in the trailer and it's not much extra $$$ to go from 15' to 18. I always try to go with a sub one size bigger than my pa's so it can clearly be heard.

just be careful your sub doesn't wash out the other frequencies because it's too big or too powerful :thumright: