Sourcing the right Monitors

RichoKidd

So, I've had a real 'drive' lately, and I've found my passion for music again, but before I jump back into the deep end, I feel I need to set myself up correctly (I never did this and have slowly pieced together a "home" set up, but I never felt it was adequate to produce high quality music). Besides the basics I need to re-purchase due to damage or upgrading (this I can do over time, as this is the last thing I truly need), I know what I'm missing. A GOOD SET OF STUDIO MONITORS!

My intention when it comes to making music has changed over the years, I've always wanted to record quality mixes, but never have, due to laziness. Then I became a rapper (always wanted to be an MC) but have put out a half-assed, headphone-mixed, mixtape. Now I want to became a triple threat (Rapper, DJ & Producer) as the hip hop scene in this country only has a few triple threats, and I have experience with all three.

The basic idea of this thread is, I would love your advice on which Monitor's are right for me and the sound I'm looking for. (As most of you know, I'm into hip hop, all types, boom-bap, rappidy-rap, trap)

I've got my eye on a few options and the list goes:

KRK ROKIT RP5G3 5" Studio Monitors (Pair)

KRK-RP5G3_2.jpg

I've heard good things about KRK Rokits ever since I started working on music, I hear they are durable, pump out a good sound without pushing for it and, are affordable. Now $439 (Store DJ) is a LITTLE over my current budget (I do have a gig coming up which could easily pay for them, but I'm unsure if I wana blow my entire pay on them, so am considering the rental option).

JBL LSR305P 5" Two-Way Powered Studio Monitors

JBL-LSR305.jpg

Again, I've heard good things regarding JBL, and I used to roll with JBL when it comes to car audio. These are only $10 more (Store DJ) then the KRK but aren't exactly industry standard (in hip-hop anyway). These were recommended by lloydc and I trust his opinion but if I can find something more affordable with a similar sound, I'd jump on those.

Presonus Eris E4.5 High Def 4.5" Studio Monitors

PRE-E45.jpg

Haven't heard anything about these, but they are definitely more my price range, Presonus make quality stuff yeah? Anyone have any experience with their monitors? How do they sound? Will I be replacing them in 4 years if I use them regularly?

Behringer MS40 Active 40W Monitor Speakers

BEH-MS40.jpg

The last brand I was looking at, Behringer, I have Behringer PA speakers that I use for gigs, which I've never had a fault with, not once have they ever caused me a problem and the sound is always great, but I've heard they make quality PA stuff. Does anyone know how their monitors sound? I have been recommended these also and these ones are in my price range too. Can anyone tell me if it'd be worth dropping the cash? Would I be replacing them after regular use?

Thanks for any advice you sexy MOFO's

TL;DR?

Need monitors, help me!

I have those rokit 5s and they are ok but I bought them more for my Dj setup before i properly got into production and wouldn't really rate them highly for a real flat sound which is what you want for monitors. This is more over the past 6 months that I've formed this opinion as my ears are learning.

Everyone I talk to says to hold out and go for that next step up as a minimum to get something of professional quality. Adam AX series seems to be a popular recommendation.

However at the end of the day not everyone's budget allows and then it becomes more about working with what you've got and learning how your speakers/room sound :)

The last ones are meh. I used them at my college and they're not that good imo. But then again my monitors are the 8" Behringer Truth B2031A" speakers that piss the neighbours off.

Just a note, the room you mix in is just as important as the speakers themselves. But a lot of us (including me, lmao) just don't have the budget to treat their room. As Mitch said, it's more about working with what you got and learning how your room sounds.

Personally, I recommend picking out songs that you think are mixed well in WAV format (or a reference track), head to your local StoreDJ or store that sells these stuff, and testing these tracks across these speakers. Also talk to the people working there, my experience with these folks are always positive and they'll help you out

Like mitch said the KRK's are slightly coloured in the low end. They are a good monitor though if you want to use them for more than just producing. I use mine with my decks but they are good for referencing any productions I have.

For my productions I use Focal CM40's. Nice flat response from them although this particular model is a compact version as I was using them in a small space. Would definitely recommend Focal's if purely for production use.

I use yamaha hsm10's. They are very flat in there frequency response if set up right. But also have done a few house party's with them and theycan certainly take a thrashing. They can be a bit boomy in my studio set up if the rear port is too close to the wall though. I suspect a couple of bass traps would prob correct this easily enough.

Pretty sure i paid $700 for the pair, but def worth the extra coin.

The Adams are amazing! I'd love a pair. I'd steer clear of the presonus ones tbh. The berrys would go better. As far as budget goes the berrys can put out a good sound on the cheap. The krk's go ok but I haven't had enough experience with them so I'd take in what's already been said. If you wait out and save a bit more than the jbl's might be a good buy. Look in to Mackie. Their monitors are supposed to be pretty clean but haven't heard them personally