Downgrading

ChevChelios

As a computer techy i can honestly say Windows 7 is what Vista should have been.

It's such a user-friendly OS, i'd almost say any MAC user could quickly migrate over.

I'd definitely suggest looking into W7 over downgrading to XP. Make sure your PC can handle it first, once thats done it's intelligent enough to do most things itself, just check your manufacturers website (for those who built their own pc's - check your parts manu. website) To see if there is any difficulty with W7.

Pretty damn good OS in my opinion, as i'm looking at upgrading myself, 6months ago i would have gone a MAC.

you won't have to pay it back if you die

kind of like HECS

Yeah but you leave it for your next of kin, which would suck for them, a huge debt and they dont have some mad toy to show for it..... not cool.

In reality im like 3 grand in debt but thats with family sooooo, the 3 bucks is with the bank, fucking account fees :evil:

As far as windows 7 goes I wont be upgrading until the at least the first service pack or until someone can tell me it works better than xp, oh yeah any one wanna buy a license for 7 cause I have 9 :D

As a computer techy i can honestly say Windows 7 is what Vista should have been.

It's such a user-friendly OS, i'd almost say any MAC user could quickly migrate over.

I'd definitely suggest looking into W7 over downgrading to XP. Make sure your PC can handle it first, once thats done it's intelligent enough to do most things itself, just check your manufacturers website (for those who built their own pc's - check your parts manu. website) To see if there is any difficulty with W7.

Pretty damn good OS in my opinion, as i'm looking at upgrading myself, 6months ago i would have gone a MAC.

do you know if there is any reason why it would be better than XP for audio production?more stable? etc?

Apparently there are still bugs with some pograms and some hardware even though they reckon they have good hardware support now, I think it uses about as much physical memory as xp does now on sp3, so it can only get better really, its just most operating systems are kind of buggy before the first service pack, its kind of like a public beta test I reckon, haha.

do you know if there is any reason why it would be better than XP for audio production?more stable? etc?

I would have to say there isn't, i haven't seen anything out there that would promote W7 as a better platform for audio production, but what i would generally look at for an OS is ease of use, which W7 definitely is taking the cake over XP now. The fact they've been able to pack the features that W7 offers without any significant performance decreases is exceptional. On the flipside of the argument, as long as your hardware is W7 compliant, i can't see why you would want to use older technology (XP) over a newer generation platform.

Apparently there are still bugs with some pograms and some hardware even though they reckon they have good hardware support now, I think it uses about as much physical memory as xp does now on sp3, so it can only get better really, its just most operating systems are kind of buggy before the first service pack, its kind of like a public beta test I reckon, haha.

This is not entirely true. There are still a tonne of bugs with XP. This argument can be closely related to the automobile industry, problems are found everywhere at any time, no matter how old/young the tech is. All SP3 was to XP was a compilation of updates from SP2 to SP3's release date. The fact that you won't use an OS until a SP is released is really dumbfounding to me. Thats almost as if you're saying you're never going to buy anything new, until the problems are run in from the original owner. As microsoft encounters a problem, they fix it, fairly promptly.

As for licenses, i can get W7 Ultimates extremely cheap :)

Its done! Woot! Im very happy with the outcome, all the stuff that didn't work on vista now work which makes me very pleased :D Still having problems with my shitty wireless card though, keeps disconnecting and not finding my router and being unable to connect to it when it finds it, really starting to piss me off, thats what you het for paying 39 bucks for it I guess :teef:

I can get 1TB hard drives under a hundred bucks but thats right you buy them for more you know more

ChevChelios a wireless card should be the wireless N type the wireless G type one are crapy

oh Laggerau so how much software is actually written for w7 then ? start naming them so others can update to win7 and use them for the best performance

I bet you cant find very many at all...

• 4 months later...

Chev the prices for the Wireless N ones are Droping a lot!

hopefully that means we all will have to start looking at the new optical fibre, for this new broadband rollout, the faster you can get things the better it will be.

a lot are on ebay (cheaper than local too)